Computer does not communicate with printer

Hi!

My computer, an Inspiron 1545 using Windows 7, does not communicate with the Dell V313 printer. The printer, when plugged in, will light up the on button only. I have tried the usual suggested solutions, without any success. Would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Have you tried printing a test sheet via the Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Devices and Printers and right click on the Printer and select Printer Properties and then click on Print Test Page?

See “How to troubleshoot print failures in Word” at:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826845

and

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826862

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, I had tried that along with a number of others, including some of the suggestions given on the other web sites. Will continue to follow up through the sites; however, this may take a few days so I plan to get back with you later. Can not copy or scan, or print from Word, Excel, etc. Have great day and thanks.!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Was the test successful?  If not, you have to sort that out before worrying about printing from Word or Excel, etc.
Hope this helps,
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It was not successful. Will follow up as you suggested on the websites.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have checked numerous suggestions and have not been able to solve the problem. Sorry it is taking so long to get to the computer to check. If it is better to close this request and wait until I have gone through all of the suggestions before again submitting another question, let me know. Thanks for your help. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi!

Attempts have been made to print by following instructions through the websites and other suggestions relative to Plug and Unplug, Word, WordPad, Test Page, Find & fix, System Restore (which shows the latest date which is not earlier enough for my needs because I learned Windows 7 apparently does not easily allow access to previous updates as XP did),Detect and Repair, Microsoft Fixit, Find and Install printer drivers, manually installed the printer driver although had confirmed updates were automatically sent to my computer (Dell V2310-V150 Series XCF Type 3 –User mode),determined if problem documents were created from some custom template (found normal only), and ran Troubleshooter; however, am hesitant to attempt to modify the directory until discussing it with you.  Thanks again.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There is no point in doing anything else, if you cannot get a Test Page to print via the Control Panel Devices and Printers applet Printer Properties.

How is the printer connected to the computer?  Have you ever been able to print with it?  Look for help on a Dell website as the problem is not really with Word or Office if you cannot produce a Test Page.

Hope this helps,
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It is connected to the computer via USB. The printer has been printing, copying, and scanning with no problem until the on button began to remain on. I appreciate your efforts to help. Will continue to search for a solution. Have a great day!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Is there a re-set facility somewhere on the Printer?  Have you removed the power from the printer completely (unplug the power cable, wait a few minutes and then plug it back in again.
Hope this helps,
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I found no re-set facility on the printer. Have completely removed the power from the printer numerous times without success.  Will continue searching for answers. Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 23, 2023 Views 420 Applies to: