Cannot open docx in Word 2007 with embedded Excel chart

One of my users was sent a .docx with embedded Excel charts. When we try to open in Word 2007, get the following error:

The file [filename].docx cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents. Details expansion area is empty.

This is a collaborative legal document that is going to go back and forth between my user and the document creator. It has comments and Tracked Changes that must be preserved.

As I see it, we have the following options:

1. Ask the document creator to save it down in a format that we can read

(unacceptable to the document creator, for some dumb, unrelated political reasons - out of my control)

2. Purchase 2010 for our user

(unacceptable, we have hundreds of users with identical machines/software profiles - will not do this just to solve this issue)

3. Delete all of the embedded charts and save

(unacceptable, need chart data)

4. Save to Wordpad, then back to docx

(unacceptable, eliminates Tracked Changes)

5. Send to IT administrator who saves down as a 2003-era doc

(user hates this workaround, but that's what we're going to do unless I can figure something else out)

It's clear that something in the way the Excel charts are embedded is the root of this issue. Is anyone aware of a patch or workaround of any kind that can be implemented on my user's machine without them having to send the document to someone else for modification?

Thanks!

Sounds like the document maybe corrupt.  Ask the originator to copy everything in the document EXCEPT for the final paragraph mark and paste it into a new document and then send that to you and see if it overcomes the problem.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Sounds like the document maybe corrupt.  Ask the originator to copy everything in the document EXCEPT for the final paragraph mark and paste it into a new document and then send that to you and see if it overcomes the problem.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that the document opens just fine in Word 2010, and your above suggestion did not solve the problem.

When the Excel charts are removed, the document opens fine. I have seen chatter on this issue elsewhere related to embedded Excel charts, so I believe that is the root of the problem. Just curious if there is any way around it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 594 Applies to: