Bookmarks disappearing/deleted after running the TOC Update

I have a large document with a large TOC using several different styles to create links within the document from the TOC as styles normally do.

I have also inserted bookmarks into many parts of of the TOC to quickly hyperlink from within the document back to certain locations in the TOC.

Whenever I add a new section.sub-section into the document....and then right click in the TOC and Update Entire Table.......the update will run.....it will add in the new headers and or sub headers......but it deletes every bookmark I previously created......so...I am forced to re create many many bookmarks on every update to the document. I have researched exstensively but can't figure out why the bookmarks get wiped on the TOC update.

Any info would be appreciated.

You cannot add bookmarks to a Table of Contents and have them survive an update. If you want to navigate to & fro from a Table of Contents, add the hyperlink forward & back buttons to Word's QAT and use those.
Cheers
Paul Edstein
(Fmr MS MVP - Word)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

There are close to 40 bookmarks in the TOC with multiple hyperlinks throughout the document...not sure if the back and forward button will do the trick.....what is weird is when I first created the document.....the bookmarks on the first page of the TOC would not delete on updates.... they always remained there....all the other bookmarks on the other pages would be deleted on the TOC update.....thanks for your reply...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There are close to 40 bookmarks in the TOC with multiple hyperlinks throughout the document...not sure if the back and forward button will do the trick...       

It will. Bookmarks certainly won't, for the reasons you've already discovered. The only way around this would be to convert the TOC to static text, then bookmark & cross-reference that.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
(Fmr MS MVP - Word)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 30, 2023 Views 1,263 Applies to: