Autonumber Word Table

I would like to autonumber a table as with the following examples:

• I have a two column table.
  • The left column is titled "ID".
  • I want the ID column to autonumber as rows are added to the table (or at least be able to paste in a field code that will sequence as I desire).
  • The table is under Heading 1 (Heading level 1)
  •  I would want the ID column row values to appear as 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc.
    (a very acceptable alternative could be 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, etc. or 1-01, 1-02, 1-03, etc.)
  • I want the ID column to autonumber as rows are added to the table (or at least be able to paste in a field code that will sequence as I desire).
  • The table is under Heading 1.1 (Heading level 2)
  •  I would want the ID column row values to appear as 1.1.1, 1.1.2, 1.1.3, etc.
    (a very acceptable alternative could be 1.1-1, 1.1-2, 1.1-3, etc. or 1.1-01, 1.1-02, 1.1-03, etc.))
  • The table is under Heading 2.3 (Heading level 2)
  •  I would want the ID column row values to appear as 2.3.1, 2.3.2, 2.3.3, etc.
    (a very acceptable alternative could be 2.3-1, 2.3-2, 2.3-3, etc. or 2.3-01, 2.3-02, 2.3-03, etc.)
  • The table is under Heading 3.4.1 (Heading level 3)
  •  I would want the ID column row values to appear as 3.4.1.1, 3.4.1.2, 3.4.1.3, etc.
    (a very acceptable alternative could be 3.4.1-1, 3.4.1-2, 3.4.1-3, etc. or 3.4.1-01, 3.4.1-02, 3.4.1-03, etc.)

...and so on.

I'm sure this is possible, but how?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

See the article "How to create numbered headings or outline numbering in your Microsoft Word document" on the following page of the Late Shauna Kelly's website:

http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/numbering/OutlineNumbering.html

for the first case, if you insert Heading 2 Style paragraphs in the table (or paragraphs of another Style that is based on the Heading 2 Style, you will get the desired numbering.

Similarly with the second and third cases, if you use paragraphs in Heading 3 Style or of another style that you create that is based on the Heading 3 style.

The following screen capture shows the result in a case where the Heading 2 and Heading 3 styles were used:

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 1,370 Applies to: