A word document disappeared

Today, I have opened my computer and clicked on recent files. I clicked on a folder containing some word documents. One of them is named "filming order". I clicked on it and it opened just like normal. All of this is in an external hard drive connected to my computer. I have made some changes to the file and decided to save it. But instead of saving like normal, the "Save As" came up as if this was a new file. I was confused so I cancelled it.

I closed the word document but it says that the name of the document is MV110 or something like that (some capital letters and random numbers) instead of "filming order". I clicked no to save since I thought something was wrong and when I came back to the folder, the document "filming order" was gone. I used the search and searched the entire computer and recycle bin, it wasn't there, the good thing is that that document wasn't that important and I can re-make it but now I start to doubt the trustworthiness of my external hard drive, there are files on the hard drive that are really important and took a lot of hard work to make, I don't want to lose them as well, I started to copy over the most important items from the hard drive to an internal hard drive on the computer so I have backup.

I have tried clicking on the "filming order.docx" in the recent documents area in word 2007 but it says that the file doesn't exist (at least not anymore). Should I be worried? I'm currently checking for problems using the command prompt, hopefully everything will be alright. If anyone know what has happened please tell me.

PS. Note that I don't mind whether I get the file back or not since it wasn't that important I just want to make sure it won't happen again.

Answer
Answer

Removable media regularly bring complaints of document loss and it is never a good idea to open Word documents from or save directly to such media. You can get away with it for ages and then some minor issue will occur with the interface and the document disappears, or is corrupted. This is especially true of flash drives and SD cards, but applies also to removable hard drives.

You should always save to the hard drive and copy to the media (then copy it back to work on it). You may find http://www.gmayor.com/SaveInTwoPlacesAddIn.htm useful as it copies to removable media transparently.

Graham Mayor (Microsoft Word MVP 2002-2019)
For more Word tips and downloads visit my web site
https://www.gmayor.com/Word_pages.htm

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 368 Applies to: