A form with editing restricted will not let me select sections of the entered text

Hi

We have a form that we enforce protection on and distribute for use. The users fill out the form and send it back to us, but sometimes the information they have filled out requires editing on our part. Unfortunately, when I try to highlight (select) text within a rich text or plain text content control box, either everything before the point where I click is highlighted or everything after. I can't select a few words in the middle. Has anyone else seen this behavior? Is there anything I can do to fix it without stopping the protection?
Answer
Answer
More likely it's a bad interaction between the content controls and the "Filling in forms" protection. They often don't play nicely together. Instead, use the "No changes (Read only)" protection; then select just the content controls and check the "Everyone" box in the Exceptions list.

Also be aware that if you use Plain Text content controls, even if you apply formatting (italic, bold, etc.) to just a part of the text inside a content control, the entire content of the control will get the same formatting. To be able to use formatting for only the selected part of the content, you have to use a Rich Text content control.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 4, 2022 Views 225 Applies to: