Cache error 0xE0000138 / write access?

I am using OneNote 2007 on a newish computer. I use "side notes" pretty often, for to-do lists, selective screen captures, etc. However, I do not sync my files online as I have had no specific reason to. However I tried to open a side note the other day and got this message:

""One note cannot access the OneNote cache file. It may be corrupted. OneNote will restart and create a new cache file. Error code 0xE0000138"

When I click OK I get "The notebook file is corrupted. OneNote must make a new cache file to continue. You may delete the existing cache file or keep a copy for technical support. Deleting the corrupted cache file will save disk space and will not lose any content synced with your notebooks. However, if you have offline notebooks that have not synced recently, you will lose unsynced changes."

When I choose "Make a Copy", I get the message "OneNote cannot delete the notebook cache file. Verify that you have write access and try again."

I have tried restarting but to no avail.

I have been unable to find anything on this error anywhere and am confused about several things concerning similar errors. Is the cache the same thing as the notebook itself? If I delete/rename the cache, will I lose my onenote files? Is there something else I need to do to fix this?

Thank you in advance.

Answer
Answer
  1. Deleting the Onenote cache will never delete your notebooks.
  2. The first message about the fact that ON cannot access the cache mentions the worst case: your last changes if any will be lost.
  3. What makes me more nervous is the 2nd message which says that ON cannot even delete the cache.
  4. So it's time to look where the cache is. Goto Tools, Options, Save. At the bottom you'll find the path to the cache fileOneNoteOfflineCache.onecache .
    Use Windows explorer to navigate there. While ON must be closed, try to delete that file.
  5. What happens ?

If you cannot delete this file by yourself you should tell us the path to the cache file you found.

Bernd

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 1, 2022 Views 1,638 Applies to: