Website design in Publisher 2007

I am building a website using Publisher 2007, I can insert pictures onto the page, however when i upload to my server, nothing, what do i need to do to establish the pathway from the page to the picture?
Answer
Answer

You can check for Office SP2 by opening Publisher > Help in the menu > About Microsoft Office Publisher. In that dialog across the top you should see the version of Publisher and the SP2 if it is installed. If it is not then at some point you will want to download and install SP2 as it will fix an incompatibility with Publisher 2007 webs and IE8 among other things. The Office service patches have little to do with Vista, your operating system...it has its own patches.

Reference: Description of 2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 2 (SP2)
and of Microsoft Office Language Pack 2007 SP2:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=953195

You can determine the version of Internet Explorer (and most programs) you are using the same way. Open IE > Help > About IE and you can see what version you are using.

After viewing your site, your problems are probably more fundamental. If you don't change the default setting in Publisher and File > Publish to the web , Publisher will produce an index.htm file which is your home page, plus an 'index_files' folder that contains all the other pages of your site plus all the supporting graphics and pictures. I would suggest you direct those files to your desktop or some other place you can easily find them. You need to upload both the index.htm file and the index_files folder intact to your web host server. You don't upload just individual images from the index_files folder as the source code is written to look within that index_files folder for the image.

Take a step back and at least review:

Prepare, publish, and maintain your Publisher Web site:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/HA100947601033.aspx

You might also take the time to read some of the articles:

Reference: Publisher 2007 web articles:

And if you are having problems uploading then consider downloading and installing
the free FTP client FileZilla:
http://filezilla-project.org/  It is likely to be easier for you. Also peruse these pages:

And finally I would suggest that you also plan on downloading and intalling FireFox and use it to at least test your Publisher websites for cross browser compatibility. If you can get your site to look good in both IE and FF then it will look good in most other major browsers. It is a small download and installs easily. Just watch each step and make sure that you do not opt to make it your default browser and you should not have problems.

Publisher can be a good tool to produce a basic, small static website but you need to understand the basics. Take a bit of time to do some homework and you should have better luck producing your site. Post back with additional issues and always provide the details and the information I requested this time...it will save a lot of time.

DavidF

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 30, 2021 Views 379 Applies to: