MsCurmudgeonRedux
Had this question 3
Question
MsCurmudgeonRedux asked on

Office 2007 Product Key not recognized after system restore. Knowledge Base suggests opening .pip file - won't open

Personally, nice try Bill to get us to spend  $300 on Office 2010 - you *should* be donating big-time to charity. 

anyway.  Picked up my 3yr old  HP Pavillion laptop from Staples after a system restore that involved them ordering restore disks from Microsoft. 

Opened Word and voila, was asked for 25 character Product Key.  Took me quite some time to realize the label is affixed to bottom of unit, but there it is, together with certificate of authenticity. 

Then get repeated error msg that product key is incorrect. Have now spent 3+ hours navigating through the various microsoft docs in knowledge base because support via email or chat not available for this issue. If i would like telephone support, enter the product license key. You're kidding me, right? Let us search for it automatically. System could not find it. For phone support without product key, $39.00 

Somewhere in support.microsoft.com it suggested clicking on the Office Word button. which i found in program files, open the file and in "about" should have identifying info.  When I attempt to open the file, i get the error message that it can't read pip file; microsoft takes me to a site for a partner product to read the file for a one day special of $29 

I am running on Vista. MS Office 2007 Ultimate was part of software package pre-installed with the laptop, purchased from the now-defunct Circuit City. 

Was hoping to solve this myself without having to go back to Staples, so if anyone has ideas, i'm open to suggestion, or else i will have to go back to staples this week and see if they can undo what they did. 

thank you! 

Srinivasu Guntimadugu
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Srinivasu Guntimadugu replied on
Microsoft

As Palcouk mentioned, if Office came pre-installed the first time, you have to contact the computer manufacturer for Office 2007 license.

If you purchased Office and if you have the Office Disc or proof of purchase; check the link below for replacement disc and product key.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811224

Palcouk
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Palcouk replied on

The system restore disks are provided by HP, not MS.

The key on the base of the PC is the windows key, not the office key

If you purchased a laptop with a full version of Office preinstalled, which is most unusual, any restore disks should have been provided with that laptop

An no Staples or anyone else will not be able to undo what was done.

Its the users responsibility to ensure they have all the restore or Program disks required for the PC they have purchased, and any program keys, its not an MS responsibility.

You are going to have to either purchase the version of Office you require, or use another 'free' program eg openoffice.org

Palcouk
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Palcouk replied on

The system restore disks are provided by HP, not MS.

The key on the base of the PC is the windows key, not the office key

If you purchased a laptop with a full version of Office preinstalled, which is most unusual, any restore disks should have been provided with that laptop

An no Staples or anyone else will not be able to undo what was done.

Its the users responsibility to ensure they have all the restore or Program disks required for the PC they have purchased, and any program keys, its not an MS responsibility.

You are going to have to either purchase the version of Office you require, or use another 'free' program eg openoffice.org

Srinivasu Guntimadugu
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Srinivasu Guntimadugu replied on
Microsoft

As Palcouk mentioned, if Office came pre-installed the first time, you have to contact the computer manufacturer for Office 2007 license.

If you purchased Office and if you have the Office Disc or proof of purchase; check the link below for replacement disc and product key.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811224