How to open Word 97 document in Word 2007 (blocked by "registry policy setting")

I created a Word 97 Document in an old version of Windows and MS Office.  I tried to open the Word 97 document from my hard drive in Word 2007.  Here is the error message I received:

This error occurs if you try to open a Microsoft Office document and the file type for that document has been blocked by a registry policy setting. To help secure your computer, Microsoft or the administrator of this computer implemented a registry policy setting that prevents opening this type of file.

To open documents with this file type, disable the registry policy setting. For more information, see Microsoft Knowledge Base article

I tried to follow the instructions, but got lost.  Is there any way to open this old Word file easily?

Thanks for your help.

Answer
Answer
"Old Word User" wrote in message news:5703bbb4-3144-4591-853c-087c706eba8a...

I created a Word 97 Document in an old version of Windows and MS Office.  I tried to open the Word 97 document from my hard drive in Word 2007.  Here is the error message I received:

This error occurs if you try to open a Microsoft Office document and the file type for that document has been blocked by a registry policy setting. To help secure your computer, Microsoft or the administrator of this computer implemented a registry policy setting that prevents opening this type of file.

To open documents with this file type, disable the registry policy setting. For more information, see Microsoft Knowledge Base article

I tried to follow the instructions, but got lost.  Is there any way to open this old Word file easily?

Thanks for your help.

Did you try these steps?

and moved the file to a trusted location?

Gérard

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 2, 2024 Views 13,811 Applies to: