How do you define x, y values and labels for a scatter chart in Excel 2007

I have a table with 3 columns of data (x value, y value, label). I want to create a scatter chart and define these 3 values. I was unsuccessful in using "Define Data Source" as I was only able to plot information one row at a time.

In Excel 2003 you could define the range of x values, y values and labels ref. instructions

In Excel 2007 it seems to have been replaced with "Select Data Source".

My Question is: how do I define a range of x values, y values and labels?

Answer
Answer

Your first post asked about creating an XY chart with "label." I interpreted "label" as an Excel data label, which is located adjacent to the data point on an XY chart. So I suggested creating an XY chart with a single data series with three data points and the XY Chart Labeller for attaching the label to each point. (Your first post also referenced Excel 2003 "instructions" that are not applicable to an XY chart type, as far as I know.)

Your second post referenced a screen shot of Step 2 of the Excel 2003 chart wizard, showing an XY chart with a single data series with six data points. By default, the single series name appears in the chart title and in the legend.

Your third post included steps for creating an XY chart with three data series, each with a single data point, so that the "label" is used as the name of the data series. The data series name then appears in the chart legend. I do not know a "quick and easy" way to create such a chart.

If you need to create such a chart with three single-point data series, the steps you described are appropriate. Maybe someone else has suggestions for making it "quick and easy."

If you need to create such a chart with many data series, each with a single point, i.e., a chart with many legend items, or if you need to create many such charts, then you may want to automate the process using VBA.

If you can abandon the legend and be satisfied with data labels adjacent to each point, then create an XY chart with a single data series with many points and use the XY Chart Labeller to add the labels. As far as I know, most chart gurus think it is preferable to label data points directly on the chart instead of using a separate legend where the viewer must associate the data point marker icon with the corresponding legend icon.

-  Mike Middleton
TreePlan Software, http://www.TreePlan.com
Decision Tree, Sensitivity, and Simulation Add-Ins for Excel

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 13 Applies to: