Conditional formatting between two worksheets - possible?

I have this anoying alert msg "You cannot use references to other worksheets or workbooks for CF criteria"

Is there an easy way to apply conditional formatting in one worksheets based on cell values in other worksheet but in the same workbook?

Here is what I have.
I have main tab with some names  in column B and C and their job title in column D. (Range B3:D29)
Now, I have a calendar for 2011 spread out for each name in a single row so I have 27 rows x 365 columns (Range E3:NE29)

Every cell is formated as a date (1-Jan etc.) cos I was thinking I would be able to make relationship with another tabs which I have in my workbook. Those tabs contain detailed information about one cingle name from my main tab with listed names and they are all linked. So I have 27 tabs. Each tab containes also a calendar but in a normal view, months separated, with 7 days in a row and dates in matching cells below. That calendar contains Conditional formatting based on some cells I have on a left side of that calendar.

Now, I wanted to have that formatting applied to my main tab with all names listed. I tried to direct formula in conditional formatting window to those cells on which is based my CF so it would do the same thing in my main worksheet but I get this message that it is not possible. 

Then because I didnt now how to solve this I copied those cells into my main tab with list of all names and I pointed my formula into that direction but in this case I would have so many formulas in CF and for every single name I have on the list and plus I would have all those cells on my main tab, even though I can hide them but I would have 27 times 16 cells I have in every tab so I would have  extra 432 cells. One of the options I was thinking is to have combo list with all 27 names and when name is changed to populate those 16 cells with appropriate info and then I would have one CF formula. But then how to link that formula to each name... It is a bit complicated but I know I am not making space shuttle. It could be solved but not by me I guess. Below is sample of main tab and tab with details.

Main tab

4 John Doe Logistics 1-Jan 2-Jan 3-Jan 4-Jan 5-Jan

etc

Tab with details

Cells that CF is based on

30-Mar-2011
31-Mar-2011
20-Apr-2011
21-Apr-2011

Cells with calendar

April
Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
        1-Apr 2-Apr 3-Apr
4-Apr 5-Apr 6-Apr 7-Apr 8-Apr 9-Apr 10-Apr
11-Apr 12-Apr 13-Apr 14-Apr 15-Apr 16-Apr 17-Apr
18-Apr 19-Apr 20-Apr 21-Apr 22-Apr 23-Apr 24-Apr
25-Apr 26-Apr 27-Apr 28-Apr 29-Apr 30-Apr  

Answer
Answer

Hi,

you can use conditional formatting between 2 worksheets in the same workbook but you must give the cells a name that you reference in the conditional formatting.

Example:

Sheet1!A1: 100 (named sheet1Value )
Sheet2!A1 50 (with conditional formatting): CF formula is:  =sheet1Value > A1

Result: Cell A1 on Sheet2 will be formatted in the chosen format.

Regards,

Frank

If this post answers your question, please mark it for all readers as the Answer or vote if the reply has been helpful.

If this post answers your question, please mark it as the answer or vote it as helpfull.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

You may use named ranges to create CF between 2 sheets.

Daniel

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 12, 2024 Views 3,634 Applies to: