Is there a keyboard shortcut for switching between Word documents?

Gee I just love the way Microsoft tries to think for me popping up the most USELESS suggestions when you're composing your original post.  Sometimes I wonder if anybody there speaks English as their first language. I doubt it.  The suggestions have almost nothing to do with my subject.  Thankfully, here in these forums, many people have a good grasp of the language.  

---------------

Anybody know where the option is in Word 2003 to allow multiple documents to be in their own windows?  Can't find it.  Using Microsoft help is worse than useless.  I used to use that and it was convenient because then you just Alt_Tab between documents instantly.

---------------

How about something better:  A keyboard shortcut for switching between 2 open Word 2003 documents?  Is this possible in Word 2003?  That would be mighty handy and fluid.  In Excel, apparently its Control_PageDown/Up but that doesn't work here.  So nice when Microsoft chooses to not bring over shortcuts from one of their programs to another.  That would be way too logical.  Its like nobody talks to other departments at this company.  It sure would make users' experiences a lot more convenient if the shortcuts were the same.  Control_PageDown/Up does nothing in Word except move the page down/up.  So its not even being used.

Thanks for reading.   

Answer
Answer
In Word 2003, the option you are referring to is at Tools | Options | View: "Windows in Taskbar."

To move between open documents, you can use Ctrl+F6; this works in most Windows applications. With the "Windows in Taskbar" option enabled, you can also use Ctrl+Tab, but note that it switches between all open windows, that is, also between other applications that may be open.
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 17, 2024 Views 6,562 Applies to: