I have windows word 2002 and have installed compatiable packs to view DOCX files. The association of the Docx files is to 2007 rather than 2002 and isn't viewable to open from inside windows word 2002

I have windows word 2002 installed on my Windows 8 surface pro and have installed compatible packs to view DOCX files. 
The association of the docx files is to 2007 rather than 2002 and isn't viewable to open from inside windows word 2002. How do I fix this problem, the icon of the Docx files is also of a 2007 icon instead of 2002. 
Answer
Answer
You appear to have 2 issues.

One is the Office 2007 compatibility Pack being installed on Office 2002.  That should work. It allows Office 2000-2003 to open and edit DOCX format files.   Exactly what do you mean DOCX do not appear within 2002 on the one machine.  

I'm guessing that what you are saying is in the File Open Dialog, you do not see DOCX files.  If that is what you mean, in the File Open dialog, click on the down arrow on the "Files of Type:" drop down list. I'm guessing maybe you accidentally selcted "WordPerfect 5.x (*.doc).  Look carefully in the list to confirm that Office 2007 DOCX is one of the options. If you do not see it, then the install of the Compatibility Pack did not work. Do it again. If you do see Office 2007 in the list then select "All Word Documents ..." which will include DOCX.

Your other problem appears to be Windows Default File Associations. The label you see in the "Type" column is simply a text entry in the Registry. It describes the program that is set to open the file.

Here are several techniques for setting file associations.  The question is do you want to set Office 2002 to be the default for all files, or just Word 2002 for all DOC format types or just DOCX and DOC to 2002.

How to Change File Associations in Win7 and Win8

http://www.7tutorials.com/how-associate-file-type-or-protocol-program

Change File Associations in Vista / Win 7

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Change-which-programs-Windows-uses-by-default

If that doesn't work, try:

Alternate Re-register the application

(Note: You may have to adjust the path to the EXE to match your installation. Verify the path before running the command.)

Close the app. Open the Run Window: <WIN > R, use the following command (Modify the Path to match your specific installation):

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\winword.exe" /unregserver

The quotes are necessary, but you may need to change the path so it reflects the location of the winword.exe file on your system. (You can use Windows’ Search tool to locate the path to the winword.exe file.) The /unregserver switch “unhooks” all the references to Word in the Windows Registry.

You should then, immediately, use the following command:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\winword.exe" /regserver

“C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office 14\Office14\winword.exe” /regserver

This command causes Word to rewrite all its Registry keys and to reassociate itself with document and template files. Now you can double-click a document file and see if Windows starts Word and opens the document.

Note: This article says that regserver does not work with Office 2010: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291288

Re Register  re-register – regserver batch file

Make sure the path is correct for your installation. I have put these files into a BAT file on my desktop so I can run it as needed.

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 2010\Office14\winword.exe" /unregserver

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 2010\Office14\winword.exe" /regserver

Pause

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 2010\Office14\excel.exe" /unregserver

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 2010\Office14\excel.exe" /regserver

Pause

Quick Determine Office applications path

·      open Excel

·      open the Visual Basic Editor (aka VBE)

·      open the Immediate window, Ctrl-g (also in the View menu)

·      type or paste the following in the Immediate window

?application.path

·      With the cursor at the end of the line, ie after "path", hit Enter

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 27, 2021 Views 691 Applies to: