How to send letters to different addresses with same letter template

Hi!

I send a lot of letters to different people but send the same letter - just have to change names and addresses.

However I dont have a list of names I need to send to so mailmerge from an excel sheet isn't an option as I don't want to first fill and regularly update an excel sheet.

What I'd like to do is create a form that I can fill out which will automatically complete the letter once I have filled in the addresses as I would do online when putting in a delivery address.

Currently on word I have to format the letter every time and save a new copy. What I would like is to simply fill out this form and a letter be printed/saved as a pdf once I click finish.

Does this make sense?

Would appreciate any help and advice anyone has to offer.

Regards

JG
You can do this with custom document properties.

Take a copy of the letter. Open the Envelopes dialog, leave the address box empty, and click Add to Document.

Next, click File > Properties and go to the Custom tab of the dialog. Make at least the following properties:
  • Name
  • Address
  • CityStateZip

For each one, after typing the name of the property in the Name box, type some placeholder text in the Value box and then click the Add button. You may want to create FirstName and LastName properties instead of just one Name property, and you may want to add an Address2 property. When you're done, click OK.

Back in the document, turn on nonprinting characters by clicking the ¶ button. Click in the address frame of the envelope, go to Insert > Field, select DocProperty in the field names list, and then click Name in the Property list. Click OK. Press Enter, then reopen Insert > Field and insert a DocProperty field for Address. Repeat for the DocProperty field for CityStateZip.

Now go to the first page of the letter, and again insert the DocProperty fields to make the inside address. (This is where having separate properties for the first and last name is useful; you can put a DocProperty field in the salutation line as well.)

Save this as a template for making new letters. When you create a new letter, go into the Properties dialog, click each of your properties in turn, and replace the placeholder in the Value box with the proper value for this letter; then click the Modify button. After changing all the necessary properties, click OK. Back in the document, press Ctrl+A to select everything, and press F9 to update the fields. Each DocProperty field will show the value you put into the Properties dialog.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

See the following pages of Greg Maxey's website :

http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Create_and_employ_a_UserForm.htm

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 25, 2024 Views 8,492 Applies to: