Brackets showing up in header and footer for MS word2003

Just today, I seem to have accidentally toggled some feature in my settings that has caused these gray, L-shaped brackets to show up in my header and footer. Here's a screen shot. I've got word 2003, and my operating system is 64 bit windows 7. These don't print up, but I find them rather distracting, and would like to know how to turn them off.

Thanks

H

Answer
Answer

I'd checked those already, and they were already turned off. I did manage to find that this feature is sometimes related to Asian languages being enabled in office itself, but I was having trouble navigating to where I could open the MS office settings from my start menu (I have win 7, and most of the instructions were written for people with XP). I finally found it, and lo and behold, Japanese was turned on, along with English.

Turning off Japanese took care of the issue.

No idea how that happened, as I know for a fact I had not changed any of my language settings in MS office (didn't even know how to change settings in MS office until I started poking around). I would like to know how that got changed, so I can prevent it happening again.

But at least it's fixed.

Thanks all.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 19, 2024 Views 1,467 Applies to: