An update is coming for the Groove app on Windows 10 Mobile / version 3.6.1719.0

An app update is headed to the Store for the Groove app on Windows 10 Mobile. This release (version 3.6.1719.0) includes the following:

• We made a significant improvement to the way we find your local music and sync your cloud music collection that makes this process much faster. This will cause a one-time rebuild of your collection when you first launch the app after this update.
  • We also simplified our logic for hiding duplicates so managing your collection is easier. We’ll no longer match local MP3s to similar ones in OneDrive or your Music Pass collection.
  • To make it more clear where your music is coming from, songs are now labeled as OneDrive, Purchased, Music Pass, or Local Only. We show you these in Select Mode (long-press, then Select) to catch you when you need them most.
  • We also added the ability for you to see the full set of details on any track with long-press, then Properties.
  • We brought back autosuggest when searching in the app and the ability to see everything you’ve searched for since you launched the app.
  • We heard your feedback about the ability to see album art in Now Playing so we added a toggle in Now Playing to allow you to choose either album art or artist art.
  • We added the ability to sort albums by release year.
  • We made playlist editing easier - you can now select multiple items in a playlist and drag them to another spot in the playlist.
  • We added better scaling so that images look better on larger devices.
  • We added the explicit tag to the list of songs in Now Playing so that it’s easier to see when a song in your queue isn’t playable because it’s explicit.
  • We also updated a few things so that the app works better on Continuum:
    • Playback will continue even if the screen locks when using Continuum.
    • We've continued to improve layouts of Groove at high resolution (ex: Explore Galleries & Search Results)
  • We fixed a number of reliability issues – including the one that temporarily required us to disable ‘sticky pivots’.  With this release we will once again remember what you were doing last and bring you back to the right place the next time you launch Groove.

Please continue making your feedback known in the Windows Feedback app, in store reviews, and elsewhere on the Internet. We’re listening!

Thank you for your continued support,

The Groove Team

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Please answer me too!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

good app with a landscape mode 

good job

BUT is it possible to have a 'keep screen'. I listen to music on my car and it's dangerous to touch always the screen on my phone when I drive.

Thank you Very much,

Dom from Belgium (lumia 1320)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, Thanks for replying.

My Lumia 950 is on OS build: 10.0.10586.29 and Groove is version 3.6.1719.0

I have about 9000 songs on my SD card, the app has run for many hours since the update - I use it for music for quite a lot of the day. I have a music pass and most of my music is downloaded via that.

It appears the app shuts itself down if not actually playing music. I have managed to trick it into updating my collection by trying to re-download songs that are already on my SD card, this generates an error message but seems to trip it into the "Adding music" mode which appears to be reindexing my music as some of it has now started to appear in the app - it is slow progress but hopefully everything will eventually appear. It would be much simpler if we could manually initialise this process and if it would happily continue in the background.

It seems like we are continuing to get similar issues as we had with Zune/Xbox music - I don't know if it is large music collections that are a problem but I am also getting duplicate tracks appear in my music which has happened ever since Zune/Xbox - I can live with this but still takes up unnecessary memory space. It is frustrating as I otherwise love my Lumia's (this being my 3rd one).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Jason1967,

I had a similar issue. After the update MOST of my music was gone, I had 18 copies of some songs, and Groove absolutely would not sync. I deleted ALL of the music from my SD card, opened Groove and voila! My satisfaction with Microsoft's music player and service has definitely degraded over the years.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hope springs eternal, this is from the changelog of the PC cumulative update that went out today:

Updates for Windows 10 Version 1511
February 9, 2016 — KB3135173 (brings system to 10586.104)

This update includes quality improvements and security fixes. No new operating system features are being introduced this month. Key changes in this update include:
•Fixed issue that delayed the availability of songs added to the Groove Music app in Windows 10 Mobile.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yep, everything that I had synced by downloading from OneDrive has gone. It's still there in the file system (Music\XboxMusic\OneDrive Cache) but doesn't show up under either "available offline" or "streaming". I don't know if the app did an index rebuild after update and I don't see a way to trigger one manually, so I'm left with a big chunk of my music collection gone in a puff of smoke.

Seriously, how hard is it to get the absolute basics right? Like, show me the non-DRM MP3s I have locally and let me play them? It's a joke.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've had an unbelievable headache with this 'update.' (I'd call it a downgrade)

When the app first updated, all my playlists vanished.  I spent all morning today building new ones, only to have those vanish tonight, and have older versions of the previous ones appear (not even the most recent versions before the first wipe, older as in several weeks to months older).

Now these reverted playlists refuse to allow me to play my OWN music through them, spouting worthless nonsense about a 'Groove music pass' (which I have no intention, ever, of acquiring - I buy my music exclusively through Amazon and iTunes - usable software, in other words).

I can still play the songs from the song or album lists, but not through playlists, while signed in, which is exclusively how I organize my music (I break apart and mix-up albums).

I'm genuinely so frustrated as of this point, that I'm considering ditching Windows Mobile in its *entirety* over this single app's issues.

Ideally, I just want my old playlists back.  If that's not possible, I want some assurance that any new ones I make won't be vaporized by future 'updates' so-called.

"We made playlist editing easier - you can now select multiple items in a playlist and drag them to another spot in the playlist." - And no, you didn't.  Dragging anything (single or multiple) requires some sort of mystical Kung-Fu death-grip which only works 5ish % of the time.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

At last !!!   the Album art fix that means I get the embedded album cover rather than some out of date photo of an artist I can hardly recognise - Thankyou.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

During the import, clean versions replaced my original versions. How do I get my library to have the original features back?

We added the explicit tag to the list of songs in Now Playing so that it’s easier to see when a song in your queue isn’t playable because it’s explicit.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Happy to hear about new features. Spotify under Windows 10M lack its Connect technology and for me It's an huge lost than Android, so glad to switch my premium subscription to Groove but a Dlna or AirPlay support with my Avr Marantz must be added in Microsoft official music app. Bluetooth is only a provisional solution that keep fine in a car system as well.

Another good implementation could be an automatic caching system. If I listen an intere album using Wi-Fi at home and I wanna to listen again on a car trip without Wi-Fi, under 4G network for example, I would not to re-streaming it due cost and battery issue. Download the song previously could be not a solution in most cases. In short : copy Spotify ! :-)

Red5
Windows 10 Pro (1803)
Italy NW

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated December 27, 2022 Views 4,370 Applies to: