Word 2007 won't save all normal.dotm changes

Am unable to establish the word template I've used in all previous Word versions. I made changes to normal.dotm per all instructions (changed font/paragraph and added macros). New documents open with the macros activated but ignore font/paragraph and other similar settings. If I open normal.dotm it shows that all of my desired changes were saved, but new documents continue to ignore the font/paragraph settings. I've saved normal.dotm as "macro-activated template" and "word 2003 compatible" but none of my desired default formatting raises any Word 2003/2007 compatibility issues (it is the same default template formatting I've been using in previous versions for 15 years). There are no other files named "normal" in the templates folder.

How do I get Word to open new documents with the exact formatting that is saved in normal.dotm?

When I open a new document how can I tell for sure what template it is based on?

Answer
Answer

<snip>

I've saved normal.dotm as "macro-activated template" and "word 2003 compatible"

</snip>

Remember, there is a break between 2003 and 2007. 2003 and earlier use DOT templates, 2007 uses DOTMs.  From what you said there seems to be a little confusion.

If you save a file as word 2003 compatible it will be a DOC or DOT. Your changes may be there but not being used because they are in the wrong file? Take a look in your template folder and see if there is a NORMAL.DOT with the date/time you last saved changes.

If there is, rename the current NORMAL.DOTM then open Word 2007. If there is no NORMAL.DOTM, 2007 will look for a NORMAL.DOT to import settings from, which it will then save to a new NORMAL.DOTM.

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 3,040 Applies to: