Hyperlinks in Body of Doc Die when Saved As PDF

I created a document in Word 2010 Beta.  All was lovely until I tried to export the document to a PDF.  First I tried the built in "save as" function.  The document looks fine, but only the hyperlinks in the footer remained alive in the PDF.  All of the hyperlinks in the body of the document ceased to function, and when hovered over in Acrobat Reader, display a malformed link that appears to start with a hard return and then "URI:" and the link.  The ones in the footer start with "http:" as they should.

All of the links were created the same way (Ctrl+K and type in the URL).  I even created a whole new document and moved the contents over manually, re-creating each link as I went.  Same problem.

I also had problems with the graphics, of which all but one were native Word Shapes - when PDFed, they appeared with black boxes around them.  I had to recreate all of the shapes in GIMP and bring them in as traditional graphics.  Word 2010 apparently cannot handle exporting its own native shapes.

I had the same problems using Word's export to PDF function, printing to Nitro PDF, PrimoPDF (which comes closest to getting it), CutePDF, Acrobat 6, and Acrobat 9 Pro Extended (eval version), so I'm darn sure that this is a Word problem.

I need to have this document made into a functional PDF with living hyperlinks by the end of today or I'm toast - $$$$ LOST! - what was supposed to be an afternoon's work has turned into three DAYS.  I have never seen this problem with any previous version of Word, and unfortunately, since this is a new computer and my old one was given to a family member, I can't roll back to an older version.  I may end up having to do this in OpenOffice or LibreOffice which won't be as nice, but at least will be functional!

Help!

The problem with the graphics is probably because of the default setting for compression Go to Word Options, Advanced tab and check the Do Not Compress Images in this FIle and make sure to set it for All Documents. Then reinsert the images into the file.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"KeterMagcik" wrote in message news:*** Email address is removed for privacy ***...

I created a document in Word 2010 Beta.  All was lovely until I tried to export the document to a PDF.  First I tried the built in "save as" function.  The document looks fine, but only the hyperlinks in the footer remained alive in the PDF.  All of the hyperlinks in the body of the document ceased to function, and when hovered over in Acrobat Reader, display a malformed link that appears to start with a hard return and then "URI:" and the link.  The ones in the footer start with "http:" as they should.

All of the links were created the same way (Ctrl+K and type in the URL).  I even created a whole new document and moved the contents over manually, re-creating each link as I went.  Same problem.

I also had problems with the graphics, of which all but one were native Word Shapes - when PDFed, they appeared with black boxes around them.  I had to recreate all of the shapes in GIMP and bring them in as traditional graphics.  Word 2010 apparently cannot handle exporting its own native shapes.

I had the same problems using Word's export to PDF function, printing to Nitro PDF, PrimoPDF (which comes closest to getting it), CutePDF, Acrobat 6, and Acrobat 9 Pro Extended (eval version), so I'm darn sure that this is a Word problem.

I need to have this document made into a functional PDF with living hyperlinks by the end of today or I'm toast - $$$$ LOST! - what was supposed to be an afternoon's work has turned into three DAYS.  I have never seen this problem with any previous version of Word, and unfortunately, since this is a new computer and my old one was given to a family member, I can't roll back to an older version.  I may end up having to do this in OpenOffice or LibreOffice which won't be as nice, but at least will be functional!

Help!

Terry Farrell
tf

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Ok, I tried setting to no compression with an older version of this document that still had the Word art in it, and yes, it got rid of the black boxes, but now the text entered on these shapes does not show.

I am still at a complete loss about the hyperlinks.  I even reconstructed the document in Publisher 2007 ... when I make a PDF,  none of the body links work, but the footer links do, just like in Word 2010.

ADDENDUM:  I ended up having to recreate the document in LibreOffice.  It does not look as nice, but the links work.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What happens when you try to save the document in different format other than pdf format?

Try saving the document in microsoft xps or in .htm format and check if the links are working.

If the links work fine on other formats, try updating the adobe reader on the computer and check if it helps

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Surya,

I am using Reader 9.3.  It is the newest.  I am a documentation professional with over 25 years of experience, so I'm pretty used to making PDFs from Word and other apps.  ;o)

XPS looks lovely and the links work, but only Acrobat and CutePDF will make a PDF that is readable from this format.  PrimoPDF made a PDF in which the layout and graphics looked right, but the text was rendered in a mixture of weird fonts, looked like what you get when you print out a graphic file in text format (I've never actually seen a Windows box do that before...I've always seen that particular behavior on a Mac).  All of the PDFs had the same working footer links and dead body links.  BTW, clicking the Acrobat 9 icon inside of IE resulted in an error message that said Acrobat did not recognize the file type as a web page.  But when I opened Acrobat separately and dragged in the file without IE open, it converted just fine.  Unfortunately, the body links were still dead.

HTML destroyed the formatting, but the links worked in the HTML and in the PDF.  Unfortunately, the PDF was not usable due to the trashed formatting.

RTF also looks perfect and the links work inside Word, and the PDFs come out looking nice, but with the exact same dead body links.

For grins, I opened up a brand new document and applied no custom styles, no graphics, and no header or footer.  Just a vanilla plain, straight out of Word default settings document.  I added links to my web site and to CNN, saved, and made a PDF.  The PDF comes out with the same malformed links as occurred in the documentation suite I've been struggling with over the past week.

I then made a version with a simple footer, using the first selection available from the list of footers, and added a link to Microsoft.  When I made the PDF, *NONE* of the hyperlinks worked.

BTW, to make the links, I highlighted the text and typed Ctrl+K.  I set the Target Frame to New Window and selected the check box to set as default for all links.

This is what the malformed links look like when hovered over in the PDF...note that the cursor does not turn into a hand.

* (blank line)            *
* URI:http://www.cnn.com/ *

As you can see, that is completely abnormal.  A normal link is just the URL and the cursor turns into a hand.

Then I realized that in the documentation suite I've been working on, the footer link is one that Word generates automatically when you type in a full URL.  So I made another version of the plain test document with two types of footers - one with the hyperlink made via Ctrl+K and one made by typing out the URL and letting Word make the link.  In the resulting PDF, the hyperlink in the footer made with Ctrl+K was completely dead, and the one made with the whole URL and letting Word create the hyperlink worked.  So I added an automatically created hyperlink to the body, and guess what...the automatically made version worked!

So then I started playing around with the settings for the PDF generation.  I had been using Standard size, and accepting the default settings, which I believe was Page range: All, Publish What: Document, Include Non-printing Information: Document properties + Document structure tags, PDF Options: ISO 19005-1 compliant (PDF/A).  On this pass, I deselected ISO19005-1, and NOW the body links all work, but the footer link that was NOT automatically generated is still dead.  So this points to a mangled hand-over to PDF-A, and still there is an inconsistency between how body links and footer links are handled.

I would be happy to send you a copy of this file and the PDF so you can verify it for yourself.

I regenerated one of my project files, and the links were still dead.  I then unchecked the "bitmap text" checkbox and regenerated the PDF.  Still nothing.  I reapplied styles to remove custom formatting of the hyperlinks (so they would match the color of the surrounding text...and the links then worked.

So that means there are the following BUGS concerning handoff of hyperlinks to PDF:

• handoff of hyperlinks (plain formatted or not, I tested) to PDF/A format
  • handoff of hyperlinks made by Ctrl+K in the footer (plain formatted or not)
  • handoff of hyperlinks that are applied to text with ANY styles or colors applied.

I mentioned that I am a documentation professional.  It really looks bad to have generic blue hyperlinks in an otherwise polished document.  I am also concerned about the inability to write an ISO compliant file:  that may be an issue to some clients.

Microsoft also needs to test all of the built-in styles for headers and footers, as well as all of the colors and styles that can be applied to text for compatibility with saving to PDF, as they are not all working correctly.  Even with setting documents to "no compression" some of the footer styles with page numbers don't PDF correctly.  I did not test them all, but at least 2 footer styles convert to PDF with an ugly black box on them.  Every feature packaged in Word should come out correctly when saved to PDF.  If it can't, it should be removed or otherwise labeled as not for use in documents that will be made into PDFs.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Often Acrobat's default installation setup configures it to remove hyperlinks when converting from Word.  To correct this, open Adobe Acrobat and

1. On the toolbar, click Edit and select Preferences from the drop down
  2. In the Categories column select Convert to PDF
  3. In the Converting to PDF column select Microsoft Office Word
  4. Click the Edit Settings button
  5. Make sure the Add Links to Adobe PDF File check box is selected

If that check box is already selected, I don't know what your problem is

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello 
Are your links to external urls or to bookmarks in the Word doc? I have had the same (3 day) problem with links (inserted into SmartArt - so formatting not the issue) to bookmarks that work beautifully in Word, but as soon as I save to PDF, the links die.

Test: change one hyperlink in the Word doc to link to another file etc, save to PDF and presto it opens the file in my browser - which leads me to my own question, why doesn't it open the original file?

roycei

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, this is an old question, but it's still relevant. One answer, which works very effectively for Word's built-in PDFing, is to:

1. Click File > Save As
  2. Set Save as Type > PDF
  3. Click Options > PDF Options > turn on ISO 19005-1 compliant (PDF/A)
  4. OK, Save

(Instructions from Word 2010 (Windows), but should be quite similar in current versions)

Upsides:

• It works every time to preserve hyperlinks
  • It's native to Word - no extra software required, and it'll work on anyone's computer who's using Word (this can be really handy in corporate environments)

Downside: It can generate larger files compared to, say, Nitro PDF. My test two-page document had embedded fonts, one extra colour, and a few paragraph borders. 

• Word: 3537 Kb
  • PDFed by Nitro: 96 Kb
  • PDFed by Word: 356 Kb

Yes, those are small numbers in 2017, and I haven't tested whether those ratios actually mean much, but just do a moment of testing in case you end up needing to PDF a large file. Not all your recipients are on desktop computers with unlimited bandwidth. :-)

Hope this helps!

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This still doesn't work.  Have tried all the suggestions.  Has anyone found an answer to this yet?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

@virge456, what does/doesn't happen - what is the mode of failure, and when/where does it fail?

• What are the exact steps you're using to create the link in Word?
  • Does the link open as expected in Word?
  • What happens when you XPS it?
  • What PDF reader are you using?
  • Do you get any different results using a different PDF reader?

What do you get when you hover over what should be a link?

• No response at all, as if it were just text?
  • A hint that it may be a link (like hovertext, or it gives you the finger), but nothing happens when you click?
  • A hint that it may be a link (like hovertext, or it gives you the finger), and it appears to have responded to the click, but the browser doesn't open? (Marginally different from the above question.)
  • A clickable link that opens a browser but the destination fails to load?

BTW the solution that worked for me (above) is purely within Word and using Word's PDF conversion. (My preference is to use as few applications as possible.) I am not familiar enough with the deep details of how other applications may make the conversion; you may have better luck using a third-party app.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2024 Views 14,052 Applies to: