office 2011 Can't load Visaul Basic for Applications error

I just migrated all my data and settings from my old mac to a new mac book pro using migration assistant.

Every time I open word 2011 I get the message Cant load Visaul Basic for Applications. I get this message with any file.doc I open. I went trough some forums in internet on the topic and read what is posted on this website but was of no help.

I have a file named Visual Basic for Applications Extensibility Type Library is this what the error is talking about? The file is here:

/Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Office/Visual Basic for Applications.framework/Versions/14/Resources

My HD is named macintoash HD and couldn't find any file with strange font.

I don't have any Normal.dotm file on my computer, there is Normal file with no extension though, I moved it to the desktop, opened word and still got the same problem.

Any suggestion? Thanks.

mac os x 10.7.2
Answer
Answer
Sorry, I forgot to type a squiggly character in my instructions (I've now added it in my previous post).

The reason you need to use the "Go to folder" feature is because Lion makes the Library folder hidden, so you can't see it in regular Finder windows unless you specifically go there.

The fact that you can start Word when bypassing your regular preferences and Normal template, as well as any add-ins (like Endnote), tells me that your problem resides in your current Normal template. Since you don't know about macros, you've probably picked up a macro virus or Endnote is no longer compatible with your Word. Follow this recipe:

• Move your Normal template to the desktop (see previous post as amended)
  • Start Word as usual (it will recreate your Normal.dotm template). Do not double click on a document, just on Word's icon (we are trying to avoid possible macro viruses).
  • Go to Preferences and turn on macro protection (Word > Preferences > Security  > Warn before opening...). From that point on, never enable macros for a document you open unless you know they should be there. It is safe to open infected documents as long as you refuse macro execution.
  • Use Word's Help menu to check for updates and install them. Once no more updates are available:
  • You will need to enable Endnotes as an add-in (just a checkmark in Tools > Templates and Add-Ins), but just in case make sure you have the latest version.

If everything runs OK: Trash your Normal template in the desktop. Now make sure you don't have any macro-infected files. To do this, download this free antivirus program and run it (you don't need to install any permanent virus protection, just scan your disk):

Your best protection from now on is to heed any macro warning you get from Word!

If it still does not run: Let's try reinstalling the VBA component, which may have become corrupt.
  • If you installed Office by downloading: Locate your .dmg file, named "X16-92852-EN.dmg" or something similar. Double-click on it to mount it as a virtual disk on your Desktop.  
  • If you installed Office from a CD: Mount the CD.
  • If you no longer have the installer: download it from here (a hefty 900 MB) and double click on the .dmg file. This will too mount a virtual disk on your desktop.

Locate "Office Installer" and open it. Variously click on Continue, Continue, Agree, etc. Proceed slowly until you see the "Install" button. To the left of it, click on the "Customize" button. Select to install only "Visual Basic for Applications."

Si mi respuesta te ha servido, márcala como solución o como útil.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
EndNote was not the problem as you suspected earlier.  Solved the problem by reinstalling both Word and the VBA together. 

Thanks for your help.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 16, 2023 Views 23,312 Applies to: