AutoSum says '!Unexpected End of Formula" when i click at the end of the column

Original Title: "AutoSum and Formula problems."
I have a table with a long column of figures and AutoSum says '!Unexpected End of Formula" whren i click the appropriate place at the end of column. If I go to Tablem then Formula, and write Sum Above in the Formula window I get "Error! Bookmark not defined." or "!Syntax Error)". Any ideas?
Answer
Answer
The Table > Formula thing creates invalid formula fields. You need to use fields that look like this (where the brackets are not brackets but field delimiters):

• { = Sum (Above) }
  • { = Sum (Above \# "-0.00" } (The expression after # sets the format for the numbers.)

I could not succeed in makingTable > Formula give me the proper syntax (as above), not even by carefully placing the cursor at the proper places. Thus, you need to correct the expressions by hand.

Also, bear in mind that any error message will persist even after you've amended the formula, so you need to update the field manually (select it and press F9).

Caveat: If the format of a number above the field is invalid, the calculation will reach up to that point and Word will not tell you it stopped there. You will then get a partial sum. You should double-check by selecting the cells with numbers and calculating the result. For this, Word has a command called "ToolsCalculate," which is not available in the default menus, but you can add it.

To add ToolsCalculate as a menu choice:

• Select View > Toolbars > Customize Toolbars and Menus
  • Make sure to select the Command bar in the top tab
  • A new toolbar (a duplicate of the menus in the main menu bar) will appear
  • In the list to the left, select All Commands
  • In the list to the right, select ToolsCalculate
  • Drag this command to a position in the menu toolbar that just showed

To use the new command, select a numeric expression (like "2 * 4" or a string of numbers, like "2 3 4") or a series of table cells, then choose ToolsCalculate. The result will appear in the Status Bar at the bottom of your document's window and will also be copied to the Clipboard. Compare this value with what you are obtaining with the formula field.

Si mi respuesta te ha servido, márcala como solución o como útil.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 14, 2024 Views 6,189 Applies to: