My Organisation tab missing under Insert - My-Addins using Word, Office 365 desktop version 16.0.6741.2071

A short while back I had a tab titled "My Organisation" under Insert -> My Add-ins

This tab has now vanished on my machine, but still available on our SharePoint architects machine.

How do I get it re-enabled? I need it to deliver organisation add-ins across the globe.

Screenshot from our SharePoint architects copy of Word

Same screenshot from my copy of Word, notice "My Organisation" tab is missing, and Office 365 tab has appeared!

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Normally, we follow the steps in the article below to deploy Add-ins to Office for users.

Deploy Office Add-ins in the Office 365 new Admin Center

To investigate the “My Organization tab missing” issue, I’d like to confirm the following information with you.

1. Please Share more details about the “SharePoint architects machine”.
  2. Is it the same account that’s signed into both of the machines? If not, use the same account to check the outcome.
  3. Please share your steps to upload the Add-in that’s under My Organization in the first screenshot.
  4. A screenshot of your Office product information. To do it, open the office program, click Files >Account.

Regards,

William

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi William,

I am the person Jerry indicated can see the My Organization tab and was responsible for uploading the manifest file into the App Catalog. I'm running on Windows 8.1 Enterprise, IE 11 and the version of Office I'm running is 16.0.6965.2084.

The steps taken to upload the manifest were as per the Microsoft instructions for Office 365 i.e. I went to the Admin Center then drilled down into the SharePoint Admin Center. From here I selected Apps and then drilled down into the App Catalog. I then selected Apps for Office from the quick launch menu and then uploaded the manifest. AS you can see from the snapshot below it uploaded successfully and I can see it and utilise it from within Word.

I had also ensured that it is accessible to anyone (Everyone except external users) within the organisation so permissions shouldn't be a problem...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As in the title, Office 365 desktop version 16.0.6741.2071 interestingly Kirk is running 16.0.6965.2084, could that make the difference?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just hit the upgrade button and am now on 16.0.6965.2092, but that hasn't altered the tabs on My Add-ins

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jerry,

I’d like to explain that the first picture in your initial post shows Add-ins for Office Online, while the second one shows Add-ins for Office client.

For your requirement, please check if you have uploaded the Add-in to Services & add ins of your Office 365 admin center.

If not, I suggest you follow the  steps in form Deploy Office Add-ins in the Office 365 new Admin Center to deploy the Add-ins for Office for end users.

1. Sign in to Office 365 with admin account.
  2. In Admin Center Preview, click Setting > Service & add-ins.

3. Click Upload Add-in tab.

4. Upload the Add-in file.

5. Select who has access. If you want to deploy to all users in your organization, choose Everyone.

6. Then the Add-in will appear in Office client. If this Add-in is for Word, you can find it by Word > Insert > My Add-ins > OFFICE 365.

Please post back if you have any questions.

Regards,

William

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Kirk just followed the guidelines, but the system comes back with an error.

What are the constraints on web page URL and Icons? The same file works in the "My Organisation" for online Office. And as a "SHARED FOLDER", also on Mac under wef. (sorry I have removed a little of the detail below, but it should be enough. (both files are hosted on sharepoint.com).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jerry,

The method of deployment above is aiming to Add-ins for Office Client rather than Office Online.

From your picture above, the icon and sourcelocation stored in SharePoint Online. Due to the fact that files stored in SharePoint Online cannot be accessed anonymously, We need to change the URLs of the icon and SourceLocation to a public network location in the xml file.

Regarding “the constraints on web page URL and Icons”, Add-ins for Office 2016 desktop icons are bitmap images. And the logo size 32x32 is recommended.

All URLs, such as the source file locations specified in the SourceLocation element, must be SSL-secured (HTTPS).

All icon URLs, such as those used on command surfaces, must allow caching.

For your reference:

Office Add-ins XML manifest

Create better add-ins for Word with Office Open XML

Sample of Word Add-in

For more Add-ins Dev queries, I would suggest you go to our MSDN Forum for expert help. This is a dedicated support channel for these related queries.

You understanding would be highly appreciated.

Regards,

William

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for responding William,

But there is a serious problem with not hosting securely, behind MFA. The add-in is used to load corporate sensitive data so cannot be open to the general public.

And the entire code set is based upon SharePoint hosting, control, versioning and Workflows of the documents we load using the Add-in.

To move it all is to suggest we give up on SharePoint, which is not feasible!

The add-in loads fine using the "shared folder" approach, i.e. once loaded the Office users 365 account is sufficient to authorise into SharePoint.

I can move the icon, which is already 32x32,

Is there any mechanism for allowing a single webpage public access in a SharePoint site? ("Shared with everyone" for example)?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jerry,

We can share websites by “get a link (no sign in required)” or “shared with everyone” so that everyone can visit it including the external users.

But in your case, we can’t just modify the URLs in the xml file to achieve your requirement.

Regards,

William

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi William

Can you explain a little more please?

do you mean if we set up SharePoint so that the pages involved, and the icon file are open to "everyone", it still will not work?

So Add-ins included into 365 by my organisation cannot be hosted on a secure environment?

Can we add into the Shop - but within a secured corporate only space?

regards,

Jerry.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 11, 2024 Views 1,427 Applies to: