Outlook Hotmail Connector and dreaded "Server request timed out" error

I have used the Hotmail Connector for Outlook 2010 to access my MSN e-mail account for several years now, mostly without difficulty. Over the last few days, however, I began to notice "Send/Receive errors" in the Outlook 2010 taskbar along with the message "Limited Connectivity." Clicking the error message in the taskbar brought up two errors: "Error with Send/Receive. There was an error synchronizing your folder hierarchy. Error: 80041050." followed by "Server request timed out." I also noticed that my Calendar stopped updating in Outlook. I was able to access the MSN account with Internet Explorer and also with my Windows Phone and I verified that the calendar was at least syncing between the phone and the web.

I opened the "Sync Issues" folder in my Outlook folder tree and found the same error message: "Server request timed out."

I have read dozens of messages on this Community forum about this same issue but was not able to find any advice that worked for me. I've created new profiles, uninstalled/reinstalled the Connector, reverted back to an old version of the Connector, etc. All to NO AVAIL.

Thinking there might be a problem with a folder or a calendar item in my MSN account, I created a brand new Outlook.com account and setup a new Outlook profile to point only to that account. I was able to login to the account in Outlook 2010...but after 20 seconds or so, the same error messages reappeared! At this point, the only thing that is in my Outlook.com account is the "Set up your new inbox" message that came with the account. So, my issue apparently does not have anything to do with what is in my old MSN account. This would seem to point to a communications problem between Outlook 2010 and the Microsoft e-mail servers that host Hotmail, MSN and Outlook.com accounts.

I would be most grateful for suggestions on how to remedy this problem. It is very frustrating!

One additional data point: I have Outlook 2013 running on my Surface RT, pointed to the same MSN e-mail account. There are NO errors and NO problems synchronizing all of my content with this setup. So the problem would appear to be the Hotmail Connector and Outlook 2010.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Bailey,

Please try starting the computer in the Clean Boot and check if any other software is conflicting with the Outlook.

Check this link for more information on starting the computer in Clean Boot mode:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After the troubleshooting, restart the computer in Normal mode as suggested in this article.

Reply with the results to assist you better.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for your help.

Unfortunately, a clean boot did not change anything about my situation: Outlook 2010 still reports "Limited Connectivity" with the new profile that I built for a new account on Outlook.com. The two errors reported by the Outlook Send/Receive Progress dialog are the same as before:

- "...Error with Send/Receive. There was an error synchronizing your folder hierarchy. Error 80041050.

- "Task '...' report erro (0x80041050) : "Server request timed out'.

I also tried my original profile that was configured for my original MSN account. The "Limited Connectivity" error was still reported but the account did send and receive e-mail.  However, the calendar is still not syncing with Outlook. To be clear, sending and receiving e-mail has not been an issue with this error; just the calendar sync problem.

Thanks for any additional help you can provide.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Baily,

Please refer to the suggestions in the following KB and check if it helps:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2231628

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The KB article does NOT apply to my situation. As I said in a previous note, I created a BRAND NEW Outlook.com account and it currently does not have anything in it. So there is nothing with which to sync (e.g., no calendar, folder or contact items) except for the e-mail message that Microsoft placed in the account when it was created. So, this is NOT a sync error caused by calendar, folder or message items not being properly synchronized between the web and Outlook. To reiterate, the problem I am having with "Limited Connectivity" has been present since the very instant this account was created.

Here is the main text of the error message posted in the Sync Issues folder:

19:13:47 Synchronization error.

19:13:47 Folder Collection Sync Key: 0{8c48dcd4-a06f-4358-8e7b-0c0e6d42e910}1

19:13:47 Message Collection Sync Key: 0{614780c3-be2f-4d2e-835c-02c81a195930}1

19:13:48 Error with Send/Receive.

19:13:48 There was an error synchronizing your folder hierarchy. Error : 80041050.

19:13:48 Synchronizing server changes in folder 'Calendar'

19:13:48 Synchronizing server changes in folder 'Contacts'

19:13:48

Again, this is Outlook 2010, version number 14.0.7106.5003 (32-bit), running on Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1 using Outlook Hotmail Connector version 14.0.6123.5001 (32-bit).

Thanks for any additional information and insight you can offer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Baily,

Have you tried installing the latest updates for the Office / Outlook?

Install the Service Pack 2 for the Office and check if it helps.

Refer to the following link for more information:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2687455/en-us

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am already running Service Pack 2. The Outlook revision level quoted in my previous reply indicates this: my Outlook 2010 version number 14.0.7106.5003. The KB article you referenced indicates that SP2 version numbers are "greater than or equal to 14.0.7015.1000."

Any other ideas?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Bailey,

Please check if the system time and date settings are applied correctly.

Refer to the following link for more information:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/set-clock#1TC=windows-7

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Guruprasad,

Thank you for your assistance. However, the suggestions you are giving me are the common ones for anyone having a synchronization problem with Outlook 2010 and a Hotmail/MSN e-mail account... and I have tried them ALL... to no avail.

My date and time ARE set correctly on this computer, so that is not the cause of the problem. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the Hotmail Connector. I have created a new profile. I have connected a new profile to a new Outlook.com e-mail account. None of these things have changed the behavior of Outlook 2010 on this PC when it attempts to connect to an account on MSN. The failure is predictable and repeatable: when Outlook starts, it performs a send/receive and after a certain period of time, it throws up the "Limited Connectivity" and "Send/Receive Error" flags in the Outlook status bar. The error messages in the "Sync Issues" folder are just what I reported in a previous message.

Clearly, there is something wrong with Outlook 2010 and/or the Connector on this machine.

I have tried everything but 1) uninstalling/reinstalling Outlook on this PC and 2) reformatting the hard drive, reinstalling Windows 7 Pro and Office 2010 and starting over from scratch. I would prefer not to have do either one of these things. But if no one can figure out why I am having this problem, I will have no choice to but try these things.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi I am experiencing exactly the same problem and I see the same symptoms. I do not know what to do by now. In my case, but I am just guessing and I wasn't able to solve the problem yet, I did some "cleaning" of redundant calendars and purged older Hotmail accounts. Then the problem started ...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I was able to use another computer with Outlook 2010 to access my MSN account. It did NOT have this problem. So I do not think it is a problem on the server (MSN/Hotmail) side. I looked for differences between the two machines that might explain why it worked on one but not the other. So far, I haven't found any. I also uninstalled and reinstalled Outlook 2010 but that didn't help either. I have reluctantly decided to reformat the hard drive and start over. Not something I wanted to do...but I don't see that I have another choice if I want to use Outlook 2010 on this machine to access my MSN account.

I did notice one other anomaly on the problem PC: I can no longer save System Restore "restore points." In addition, all of the restore points that had been created in the past (over two year's worth) are all gone. It may just be a coincidence. Do you have this problem also? If so, maybe that will help to pinpoint the problem in Windows 7 that is causing both symptoms.

Thanks for replying to my post. Happy New Year!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 30, 2021 Views 714 Applies to: