Reported error: 0x800CCC6F when trying to send emails from Outlook - receiving is fine

I have been using Outlook 2007 without a problem for ages now.  However, as of last night I can no longer send emails, although receiving them is fine.  I am with Onetel (have been for about 10 years) and I'm using Windows XP.  The error message I'm getting is: 'Your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server has reported an internal error. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).  The server responded: 554 <84-43-120-2.ppp.onetel.net.uk[84.43.120.2]>: Client host rejected: Access denied'.

I contacted Onetel and they told me to change my SMTP server which I did, but it made no difference.  I was then told to delete the account and set it up again, but this time it wouldn't set up.  Eventually, I managed to reset it, just with the incoming server but still, the outgoing server won't work.  They told me that they've tested it and it's fine.  I can send using their Mailzone system, but not within Outlook. 

I went to my son's computer and he's running Windows 7.  I logged into his email and he's having the same problem with sending emails, although again, receiving is fine.  Both machines have Norton installed and automatic Windows updates.  Do you think it could be an update which has done this?

Any help gratefully received!

Thanks,

Caz

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I tried temporarily suspending the email protection, to no avail.  My other settings were already set to not authenticate.  I'm now tried authenticating as well, but that makes no difference either.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Start the computer in safe mode with networking and check whether the problem persists or not. Safe mode with networking disables all third party applications including your anti-virus program.

Follow the instructions mentioned in the following Knowledge Base article to start the computer in safe mode with networking:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/boot_failsafe.mspx?mfr=true

Note: once done restart the computer to start in normal mode

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Problem solved!

You need to contact your ISP and request to go straight to their tier 3, or highest level support. It took me 2 weeks, working with my 2nd level ISP tech support before the technician finally bumped my problem up to a higher level. It only took them 1 hour to recognize the problem and provide the solution.

The problem is that your IP address has been Blacklisted. 

Only the highest level of ISP tech support will even know about this and be able to resolve this issue. 

Most likely your computer, or another computer that connects using the same IP address, has been infected by a virus or malware. If so you will need to do a thorough scanning and remove any infected files before your IP can be un-blacklisted. But it could also be that your e-mail client settings have been changed resulting in your mail server not being able to authenticate your IP.

You also have to contact https://www.spamhaus.org to see if they have black listed you as well. Your ISP may not be willing or able to resolve your problem with Spamhaus directly. Fortunately Spamhaus provides simple, straight forward instructions for checking and configuring your e-mail client to avoid this problem in the future.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 19, 2024 Views 11,496 Applies to: