Outlook 2003 : New email notifications stopped working

Our office is still running Office 2003 on various computer OS's. The system having problems is Windows 2000. The user's Outlook 2003 used to always show new mail notifications when it arrived. As of a couple of weeks ago it stopped doing that.

The mail is not re-directed or anything, it shows in the Inbox as expected.

If the user manually runs "Send & Receive" it will show a notification if new mail is found.

If the system simply polls automatically it will not show the notification if new mail has arrived.

I checked all the setting in the email configuration and everything is turned on as required. The fact it works when mail is polled manually seems to indicate that it is setup properly in the configuration.

Since Windows 2000 did not yet have the Windows Firewall, it is not because of blocked UDP as can happen in XP. I know how to fix that issue but this one on Windows 2000 has me a bit stumped.

Thx in advance.

Answer
Answer
The information posted was simply everything that we already made sure was done - and it was all set properly yet the alerts did not work properly.

The only thing that one article pointed out to me even more was that something was not right, since it says specifically that the alerts will not appear when you do a manual send/receive, only when polling automatically. On the machine in question (as you will note by my original posting) it was doing the opposite - showing the alert when manually polling, but not showing it when automatically polling. That's something I would expect an MVP or Expert to have picked up on .... I know I did when I was MVP for my specific areas.

Any ways, I ended up running the Office Repair Tool that shows as part of the add/remove programs entry. It seems to have alleviated the issue, but still does not explain why the screw up occurred in the first place. I was looking for a more complex reason and fix than was actually necessary - in the end fixing it was simple after a little re-review of the older OS and Office.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 30, 2021 Views 4,926 Applies to: