OneNote 2013 PDF OCR issue with text scaling

I'm having issues searching through PDF documents that I print into OneNote 2013 (from any source - Adobe Reader, MS Reader, etc) when the system scaling is not at 100%.  It seems that if a document is printed into OneNote when the system is scaled to some higher value (say 150%, which is common for tablets), the search locations will all be offset and not in the correct places.

If this import/print is done with the system at 100% scaling, then the search works correctly.  If the OCR is redone (Make Text Searchable -> Disable, followed by do it in English), it will work correctly but only if the system is at 100% DPI scaling when the OCR was performed.  Any time it does OCR at a non 100% scaling, the search will not work properly in OneNote.  I've tested this on two computers so far so I'm beginning to think it's a bug in OneNote or something closely related to it.

This album demonstrates the issue: http://imgur.com/a/fMSUP

Does anyone else have this issue?  My current (very annoying, especially on a tablet like the Surface Pro) workaround is to use 100% DPI scaling in the control panel when I do OCR for a document.  It's very easy to test if this issue exists on your system as well - just change the text scaling in the control panel, print any PDF with text to OneNote, and then try to search that PDF inside of OneNote and it will highlight incorrect locations.

I imagine the issue is similar to this, but that was apparently fixed for the 2010 edition.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

That post arrives at exactly the same workaround I present here - it is an unsatisfactory resolution since I am on a tablet and would like to keep system scaling at a value higher than 100%.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I face exactly the same problem, and am also working on a surface pro. I have been extremely frustrated with the "search boxes" being completely on the wrong places. 

I thank you for the "fix" provided here, but really hope that Microsoft will fix this issue as soon as possible. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is still a very real problem, specifically with the surface pro 2. Anyone on the OneNote team listening out there? Kinda a showstopper guys.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just confirming yet again that the problem is not solved. 
I hoped that windows 8.1 would have a fix for this, but unfortunately it's still a real problem.

OneNote guys - do sth!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Very big issue on Surface Pro, There is no way I can keep the device on 100% scaling.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having issues searching through PDF documents that I print into OneNote 2013 (from any source - Adobe Reader, MS Reader, etc) when the system scaling is not at 100%.  It seems that if a document is printed into OneNote when the system is scaled to some higher value (say 150%, which is common for tablets), the search locations will all be offset and not in the correct places.

If this import/print is done with the system at 100% scaling, then the search works correctly.  If the OCR is redone (Make Text Searchable -> Disable, followed by do it in English), it will work correctly but only if the system is at 100% DPI scaling when the OCR was performed.  Any time it does OCR at a non 100% scaling, the search will not work properly in OneNote.  I've tested this on two computers so far so I'm beginning to think it's a bug in OneNote or something closely related to it.

I would like to add my confirmation. I am a OneNote evangelical at work and have been for years. I have long considered OneNote to be, hands down, the best thing Microsoft has ever done. Text searching is a very powerful seller when I am showing folks the program. I am a scientist and I routinely print pdfs of important research articles to OneNote. It is how I organize my personal library. I then can search for key text  ("renal", or "filtration" or "hypernatremia"  etc. etc.) and bingo, OneNote pulls all the articles (or any of my notes) that mention those words. Awesome. Imagine my horror when I realized it was highlighting the wrong text in windows 8.1.

I finally found this thread and can now confirm that Microsofts efforts to make 8.1 easier for touch screens has messed with the OCR in OneNote. I had already changed my text scaling to 125% from the 8.1 default of 150% because of other issues (dialog box problems, etc. with scaling). I think Microsoft have unleashed a pnadora's box of issues with the scaling push, and I imagine they are very busy dealing with the blowback throughout the system.

i can confirm that the following fixes the text recognition in OneNote:

1. Set text scaling to 100% (per guidance provided elsewhere in this thread)

2. Select all printed text on a OneNote page

3. Disable text recognition (per guidance provided elsewhere in this thread)

4. Re-enable text recognition

OK. It works. The text found in a search is not correctly highlighted instead of bein offset due to scaling. I have to do this for every page in my OneNote library. THIS COULD BE HUNDREDS OF PAGES! This is UNACCEPTABLE, Microsoft. Please fix my favorite program. And, OneNote Team - please post that you have noted our feedback! Thank you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I echo all of JamieCope's comments.  I am a Surface and OneNote evangelical (trust me guys, you need folks like me), and a graduate student.  I print literally thousands of pages to OneNote because it is hands down the best app for organizing, note taking, and highlighting.  Nothing else works this well, but the OCR is KILLING ME!  MY WORK AROUND is to have 2 copies of text open.  One copy is OneNote where I keep my highlights and notes, the other is Adobe where I can actually perform a search.  This issue has been around since 2010!  Come on Microsoft, go Steve Jobs on us and make the software work the way it's supposed to! 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Can someone at Microsoft please permanently fix this problem. The fact that the OneNote text search function fails to function for one year or more every time a new version of the software comes out is ridiculous.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem - is there anyone working on this - its a showstopper!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 1, 2021 Views 5,343 Applies to: