can i install office 2010 and office 365 on the same computer

I have office 2010 professional installed on my computer. Can I install office 365 without having conflicts?
Answer
Answer
Yes.

365 runs in a "virtual computer" that separates all of the program code from the local install of 2010.  The only conflict is which version is defined as the default in Windows.  It can only be one or the other (obviously).

There is one other potential problem. Windows and the Office installer assume that you only have one need to have one version installed. When you have 2 versions installed locally you will get a "configuring" error every time you start an app in the alternate version.  I don't know if that is still a problem if you install 365 in click to run along side a local install.  If you do get the problem it is a simple fix.
As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

59 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Yes.. BUT!!!

You can only have one Version of Outlook running at a time.  As has been said.. Office 365 Home Premium is a Virtualized app.  You can actually run other versions of Office like 2010 at the same time just not both version of Outlook.

Though I am wondering if a small problem I am having on one machine is related.  My Office 365 Home Premium keeps asking for activation.. it has about once a week.  And then the install date for that machine is updated on my account.    Has not been a problem yet on my wife's machine who only has the new version installed where I for work reasons have been keeping 2010 installed too.

32 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 5, 2024 Views 40,873 Applies to: