Excel 2010: An unexpected error has occurred when opening Sharepoint 2013 file

We have SharePoint 2013 installed, and we edit files by using Office 2010. This worked fine until this week.

It might be caused by an update for Office 2010 (KB3101540)

When I try to open an Excel file from SharePoint 2013, I get the message: "An unexpected error has occurred", without Excel even showing up.

If I save the Excel file to my disk, than I can open them without any problems. But obviously there's no connection to SharePoint then.

I've also tried the same with Excel 365 (the latest), which can connect without any problems. 

I did a clean installation of Office 2010, without any SP and other updates. It worked then. But when I installed the updates (via Windows Updates) it stopped working

Some details:
Microsoft Excel 2010 14.0.7015.1000 SP2 (64-bit)

I uninstalled the latest update (KB3101540) but this didn't solve anything.

OS: Windows 8.1, colleague tried has Windows 7, same problem

UPDATE

Apparently uninstalling Office 2010 Service Pack 2 , DOES fix this issue. But i don't think this is a valid solution since I would need to insure that all 200+ employees uninstall this Service Pack. And the service pack is there for a reason...

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Since the issue is related to SharePoint, I kindly request you to post this query in the following TechNet forum for better suggestions.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/excel/threads

If you have any questions related to Office products, you can always reply and I’ll be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 15, 2024 Views 1,426 Applies to: