Office 365 Upgrade to 2016 on Win10, error code 0x80070057

Hi,

I have the Office 365 University and I received the notification that I am able to upgrade to 2016. My computer was originally Win 8.1, then was upgraded to Win 10 last month.  I downloaded the Office 2016 with no problems, but then the Activation dialog box popped up. After signing in and/or entering my product key, I get the error message "System error 0x80070057. Please help! Time is of the essence to fix this.

Thank you.

Answer
Answer

Hello Kris,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I am sorry that you are facing issues with upgrading to Office 2016 from Office 365 on your computer.

First, we need to make sure to remove all remnants of previous installations of Office from the computer. To remove the remnants of Office 2013 and partially installed Office 2016 you may install and run the following Office FIXIT tool: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2739501

Once completed make sure to restart the computer. Check if you are now able to re-install Office 2016. If not, and if you get the same error message again then let’s try the following steps.

Check what type of internet connection do you use (Wired, Wireless or Wi-Fi etc.)?

If you are using a wireless/Wi-Fi connection then you may try to hardwire the connection. Once this is done we will try to remove all the remnants of all previous installations/installation attempts of Office from the computer:

I suggest you to manually uninstall Office 2013/365. Try the following steps:

Manually uninstall Office 2013/365 following the steps mentioned in the following Microsoft Article:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Manually-uninstall-Office-2013-or-Office-365-1d1110d5-75a4-4154-969e-4260ff29b232?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Disclaimer: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, follow these steps to back up the registry:

To back up your Registry Editor you may refer to the following Microsoft Resource article which talks about backing up Registry Keys in Windows.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

After deleting the Registry Keys as per the Microsoft article to manually uninstall all remnants and traces of Office 2013/365 make sure to close the Registry Editor and restart your computer.

Now, try re-installing Office 2016 again. Check if you are able to install and activate Office 2016 successfully.

Hope the above information helps. Let us know the result.

Thank you.

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 7, 2023 Views 6,555 Applies to: