Microsoft Home and Business 2010 encountered an error during setup

Error occurred during Office 2010 setup/installation. OS: Windows XP Home 32 bit. Only Word 2003 was on PC before installing Office 2010. Andbefore I installed Office 2010, I successfully installed Service Pack 3 for Windows XP.

Here's the end of my update.log:

Configuration of Registry Keys was completed successfully.
----Configure File Security...
 Configure c:\windows\system32\msdtc\trace\msdtcvtr.bat.
 Configure c:\windows\system32\setup.

File Security configuration was completed successfully.

----Configure General Service Settings...

General Service configuration was completed successfully.

----Configure available attachment engines...

Configuration of attachment engines was completed successfully.
 Event audit settings are restored.
----Un-initialize configuration engine...

Then my log ends. There's no error or return code or value in the entire log. There's only a Warning 2 several times that a file cannot be found before the excerpt of the log I show here but that doesn't seem to stop the process during the log.

Please help! I want to install this also on my Windows 7 laptop but I do not want to until I get this issue solved.

Answer
Answer

This issue may occur due to the corrupt installation traces for previous version of Office on the computer.

Uninstall any previous office suites installed on the machine by running the Fix it in the KB article mentioned below and then reinstall Office 2010 in clean boot and check if that resolves the issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

To start windows in clean boot refer the link below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: In clean boot mode all the third party applications (Including your security software) will be disabled. Starting your computer without security software may put your computer at risk. After you have finished troubleshooting in clean boot, ensure you restart the computer in normal mode.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 14,335 Applies to: