error 1919 Office 2003 and Windows 8

No where can I find an answer to the "error 1919" and MDAC when installing Office 2003 on a new HP Intel craptop with Windows 8 OS. I have spent several hours searching Google, MS, and other sites and all are no help. MDAC 2.8 can not be (installed) used on a 64 bit OS. Some outside sources say the MDAC is named something else now.
 Unix is looking better then ever with Open Office :-(
No where can I find an answer to the "error 1919" and MDAC when installing Office 2003 on a new HP Intel craptop with Windows 8 OS. I have spent several hours searching Google, MS, and other sites and all are no help. MDAC 2.8 can not be (installed) used on a 64 bit OS. Some outside sources say the MDAC is named something else now.
 Unix is looking better then ever with Open Office :-(
I think "MDAC 2.8 can not be (installed) used on a 64 bit OS" is not correct.See the references here:-
http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=1953

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP
http://mymce.wordpress.com/

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

If you check Windows 8 Compatibility page you will find that Office 2003 is not Win8 Compatible. Sorry

The above opinion is mine and mine alone and doesn't necessarily reflect those of Microsoft, their employees, or any other forum member.

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask. The only dumb question is the unasked one.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Try installing Microsoft Office 2003 in compatibility mode:

How to Run Older Programs under Windows 8 - For Dummies

Please take into account, Office 2003 is a 10 year old suite and has since been succeeded by modern versions of Office such as Office 2007, Office 2010 and now Office 2013.

Modern versions of Windows usually require modern programs too.

Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Try installing Microsoft Office 2003 in compatibility mode:

How to Run Older Programs under Windows 8 - For Dummies

Please take into account, Office 2003 is a 10 year old suite and has since been succeeded by modern versions of Office such as Office 2007, Office 2010 and now Office 2013.

Modern versions of Windows usually require modern programs too.

I fail to be snowed.
No Office 2003, no Windows 8.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This indeed sucks! I bought a new stinking laptop with Win 8, it did come with office 13 though but it is very hard to navigate and even off the shelf it takes several tries to open a doc even with the compatibility tweeked. I loose info during the conversion from my 2000 excel docs. I hate Microsoft! my pappy taught me long ago if it ain't broke don't fix it. I'm sure I figure out the new one but I'm really angry I got a new PC that can't run good ole programs and old PCs that can't run new programs, and neither can exchange work even SkyDrive won't exchange info properly between the 2 programs. Looks like I'm just going to start using Open Office it will open any doc and save in multipal formats including MS Office without losing valuable info. It doesn't crash, It takes a little getting used to but it is simple, and the best part is it's free and open source so the ones working to develop it have nothing to gain from ruining it. Thank you Billy when will you ever have enough $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Oh I have MS Works and it does load up on Win 8 but when you open it 8 says it can't open it but if you close the pop up it opens fine. I haven't used it because there are also conversion issues (formatting) between it and Excel. There is no win situation when using MS Products......  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Also LibreOffice, Kingsoft, etc.
Search for "microsoft office alternatives".

I cannot think of a technical reason why Windows 8 cannot handle Windows 7 system calls, so that applications that run on Windows 7 can run on 8.  It is a design choice, perhaps driven by marketing.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I was just going to say that of Office 2003, Word, PowerPoint and Excel all run beautifully even on Windows 10.

If there should be an issue with the installer not finding some files or registry entries, possibly related to that “Error 1919. Error configuring ODBC data source” or “Verify that the file Visual FoxPro Database exists and that you can access it” (or similar) as described here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/818954

…then installing a trial version of Office 2007 seems to be able to resolve this issue.

The latter can still be downloaded using a tool called "Microsoft Windows and Office ISO Download Tool":
https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-iso-download-tool

Anyway, just to gather this information for the use of possible future generations.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 25, 2024 Views 6,445 Applies to: