Upload failed: Server FIle Updated. We're sorry, someone updated the server copy and it's note possible to upload your changes now

Windows 8 Pro, Office/Excel, have file in Skydrive folder, open in Excel.  I am the only user on my account and only one PC is up and running.  I save a copy of the file in Excel.  I then get a message that Skydrive file needs attention:

"Upload failed: Server File Updated.  We're sorry, someone updated the server copy and it's note possible to upload your changes now."

Now I am the "someone" who updated the file and then it gives me the choice to keep my local copy or get the outdated server copy.  I usually select keep my local copy as it has the changes I have recently made (and tried to save).  If I select Server Copy, it is missing the last changes I made. 

What is up with this???  I have a local copy, I make a change and save it, why does not Skydrive upload those changes to my account???

Again, I am the only authorized user on my account, I am the only one logged in to Skydrive, I have only the one PC up and running and I have the one copy of the file I am editing and saving copies.  This all used to work fine, but the last week or two it has started doing this.

I have the PC set up to sync to Windows Time Server and that seems to be working, so I don't think it is a time issue.

And if I make changes, save the file, get the error, select Keep Local Copy then click Save again, I think the updates are uploaded fine, no error message after the 2nd save.  Just annoying and time consuming to have to save twice, waiting for the error message and clicking on the keep local copy option.

I initially had this issue in June, first reported in this thread:

- http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/skydrive-files/upload-failed-server-file-updated-were-sorry/70abe943-4d0f-4805-9a5d-e62ff6bc4a33

then it seemed to resolve itself only to recently return, and is worse since the last Office update that occurred a day or two ago.  It first reappeared when I would make a copy of a local file, then open that file in Excel.  The original file is in my Skydrive folder, it is writeable.  When I then rename and open the copy, I am told the file is not writeable and I have to click the "Edit Workbook" button.  Then when I try and same the file, I get the above "Upload failed:..." message.  Then if I select "Keep my Version" I can then save the file.  Other than updating Office the other day and having an automatic update on Win8 there have been no changes, same original file I am copying.  I submitted copies of the sample file and screenshots in the thread above, so the moderator there should have those copies.  I was instructed to start a thread here to get more help on this issue.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

I will assist you with the issue you are facing related to Excel.

I need some details to assist you with the issue:

Is the issue only with Excel files or is it the same across Word documents on the SkyDrive?

Is the issue specific to a file or is it with all the files?

Is the computer connected to internet through WIFI or is there any proxy settings enabled?

Use a different browser and check if the issue persists.

Login to a different computer, access the SkyDrive with the account and try to make changes and save in Excel, check the result.

You may also star the computer in clean boot and check if the issue persists:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Ensure to restart the computer in normal mode once troubleshooting is completed.

Clean boot is performed to disable all startup programs and 3rd party services on the machine and check if they are conflicting with the Office program. If so, you may disable the unwanted software those conflict with the suite or get them updated.     

Let us know the result.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I mainly use Excel so that is the only files I am currently having trouble with.

It happens with at least two files, one if my business invoice form and the other is my monthly sales summary file.  In case last night I had saved that summary file, uploaded the change to Skydrive and this morning I added and entry and was greeted with the "There was a problem uploading to Skydrive" message, after selecting Keep My Version I was able to save/upload the file again.

Hard wire connected to Ethernet switch and cable modem, no proxies.

I am using Excel to edit the Excel file, no browser involved.

Computer was rebooted yesterday and that did not seem to change things.

Any specific 3rd party programs and services that are known to cause problems with Skydrive that I should be looking for?  I have not significantly changed the computer setup since later in June when things were working fine to now when they started up again. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for replying.

What is the version of Excel, is it 2010/2013?

Which security software is installed on the computer?

What is the format of those two Excel files? (.xls or .xlsx)

It would be difficult to identify which non Microsoft program or service might be causing the issue, this can be identified if it works in clean boot and then later performing advanced clean boot.

Post the required details.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Office 2013, Version : 15.0.4517.1005

Norton Security Suite from Comcast/Xfinity v. 20.4.0.40

.xls format, and running a compatibility mode file

I have tried creating a simple Word file in my Skydrive folder and following the same steps of making a copy and then editing it I don't seem to have any problems. 

With the Excel issue, if I leave Excel open with the file loaded for a few hours, it'll pop up the upload error message if I try to save the file.  Then if I select Keep My Version and then save again, it'll be fine again for a few hours. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for replying.

Copy the contents of the file to new Excel file and then work with the new file.

Lets us know the result.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for replying.

Copy the contents of the file to new Excel file and then work with the new file.

Lets us know the result.

Thank you.

Tried that, initially it seemed to work.  But if I leave Excel running with that new file open for a few hours, I get the same Upload Error message after I try to save the file.  File is just a basic worksheet with 18 columns that are summed up at the bottom, about 130 rows of data.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Click on Start and you will get a Search box

Type ‘upload center’ and hit on enter

Click on settings on the ‘Microsoft Office upload center settings’ window

Click on delete cache files under cache setting

when prompted for confirmation, hit Delete Cached information button

None of your file would be deleted  if you do not trust me then take a backup of excel file before performing this steps.

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Click on Start and you will get a Search box

Type ‘upload center’ and hit on enter

Click on settings on the ‘Microsoft Office upload center settings’ window

Click on delete cache files under cache setting

when prompted for confirmation, hit Delete Cached information button

None of your file would be deleted  if you do not trust me then take a backup of excel file before performing this steps.

Tried that but no change in the upload failed error message, at least in the one test file.  If I leave it open in Excel, after maybe 30 minutes of a save, if I try to save again, I get the upload failed message, then if I select Keep My Version, I can then save it only to have to repeat that in another 30 minutes.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for replying and sorry for the delay reply.

Did you try the clean boot step as mentioned in my previous post?

If you have not tried, try and let us know the result.

If you have tried and it fails, create a new Windows user account and check if the issue persists:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/create-user-account

Also check if you face similar issues on a diffrent computer.

Let us know the result.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for replying and sorry for the delay reply.

Did you try the clean boot step as mentioned in my previous post?

If you have not tried, try and let us know the result.

If you have tried and it fails, create a new Windows user account and check if the issue persists:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/create-user-account

Also check if you face similar issues on a diffrent computer.

Let us know the result.

Thank you.

Have not had the opportunity to reboot or clean reboot the system.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 30, 2024 Views 31,910 Applies to: