Error 3051: exclusive open error on Access db and unable to continue

Hello out there,

One of my users encountered this issue from their laptop when trying to open the Access db on a shared network resource. See error below....

Error 3051. The Microsoft Access database engine cannot open the file <name>. It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data.

I know the user has permission to the shared resource because he has been accessing the folder for several years. I was able to recreate the issue from my desktop. Step one was to map to the network resource and second is using his network credentials to complete the map connection.

Hope someone has encountered a similar issue and can help me resolve this one.

Thanks in advance.

Does the user have full control permissions for this shared folder?  To ensure they have the proper permissions see if you can create, edit, and delete a text file in this folder.

A few other questions I have are:
+>Are any users able to open the database from this folder successfully?
+>Does anyone else have the file open when the user receives this error?
+>If you copy and paste the file into this folder and try and open the copied file, do you receive an error?
+>What happens if you copy the file to a different folder and try and open it from there?

+>Does this database have any linked tables in it that are located in another database?  If so, does this user have proper permissions to the folder that database is stored in?

+>Does this database have user level security implemented on it?  By this I mean do users have to type in a user name and password to open it?

Best Regards,

Nathan O.

Microsoft Online Community Support

22 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2024 Views 14,303 Applies to: