Access 2007 "ODBC--call failed" when checking the box "alway prompt for new location" in the linked table manager

I am using Windows 7/Access 2007 SP2 and SQL server 2005 (backend).

I can link and relink fine to SQL Server 2005, but when I try use the linked table manager to do a relink with "Always prompt for new location" selected I always get the error ODB--call failed. I get just that error and no other options besides OK.

I was using xp/Acess 2003 and SQL server 2005 (backend), but it was never a problem.

Is there a setting I'm missing or something?  Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks

Answer
Answer

Hi Rocketsci,

By any chance are you running Windows 7 64-bit rather than 32-bit?

On 64-bit Windows there are two versions of the ODBC Administrator Windows application for setting up ODBC data sources. The 32-bit version can only be used to set up ODBC data sources for installed 32-bit ODBC drivers, and the 64-bit version can only be used to set up ODBC data sources for installed 64-bit ODBC drivers.

You can access the 32-bit version of the ODBC Administrator application by running odbcad32.exe from SysWOW64 system folder. Similarly you can access the 64-bit ODBC Administrator from Windows Control Panel or by running odbcad32.exe from System32 system folder.

Hope this helps,

Kathy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 32,526 Applies to: