Word documents text is scrambled

When I open documents in Word they sometimes appear scrambled. Some text is blurred or overlapping, or has shifted across the screen. This happens to the text within the document but also to the toolbar and navigation pane. If I change the view from print to web and back again it usually solves the problem but only for a very short time. It happens regularly whenever I work on a document and as I need to write some very long reports is causing real problems. 

The problem is not with the document, the text is all there and I can get it to display properly for a short time but then the problem recurs. After searching online I have tried changing the settings to disable hardware graphics acceleration, this seemed to work for a while but the problem is now back. 

Any advice would be very gratefully received 

Hello. I'm Rey

Please check the link below to do an Office repair:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Repair...

Regards

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Please try these options one by one and check after each option.

1. Try repairing your office installation (Quick repair is good enough). Try repairing your Office installation. First try Quick Repair (takes 5 - 10 mins) , if that doesn't help then try Online Repair (Takes more than 30 mins but less than 1 hour in general)

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Repair...

2. Sometimes, add-ins can cause problems. To determine, if add-in is a problem start your application in safe mode and see if problem has gone away.

To start in Safe Mode -

Hold CTRL key and click on application icon and don't release the CTRL key till it asks you for Safe mode confirmation.

If yes, then start application normally and disable add-ins one by one and start application again every time you disable an add-in to determine the culprit add-in.
To disable add-in > File > Options > Add-ins > Down below you have Manage: Com Add-in : Press Go > Untick the Add-ins to disable and tick to enable them

3. Many third party applications also cause the problem like Tuneup Utilities, Abby Finereader, Kaspersky & other Anti Viruses etc. If you want to know if some program is conflicting -

Boot your computer in Clean boot mode and then start the application. If it works successfully, then some program is conflicting with this.
Refer to the section - How to determine what is causing the problem after you do a clean boot.
Don't forget to do - Reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135...

4. Sometimes, this is caused due to application not being able to access the default printer. Close all office applications and change your default printer through Start > Devices and Printers to another printer. It may be some physical one or One Note or XPS or PDF or anything else. If this is the problem, then you will need to update your printer driver for default printer.

5. Login to Windows with a new user profile and see if problem is resolved.

Do let me know if you have any more question or require further help. If above didn't work, I will supply more troubleshooting steps to solve this problem.
Sincerely yours,
Vijay A. Verma @ https://excelbianalytics.com

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you tried after disable the add ins?
Have you try to open i have mode?
Volunteer, No Microsoft Agent.
Feel free to pick a rate if your question is resolved.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

I'm an independent advisor that Microsoft asked to assist customers. I'm an experienced user of Office but do not speak for Microsoft. I've been assisting my fellow users for more than 20 years. I hope I can help you.

Is it just this document, or is it all long documents?

Does this happen if you start Word in Safe mode? Then, from within Word, open your document.
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Open-O...

This is a diagnostic, not intended to be the way you use Word. If it does work in Safe mode, write back and we will get into other steps you can take.

I do not advise doing a repair until after you have tried Safe mode. It won't hurt, just take time.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if you have any more questions or require further help. If above didn't work, I will supply more troubleshooting steps to solve this problem.

Regards
Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the detailed reply, I have disabled some of the add in and at the moment it seems to be working ok.  Hopefully that has sorted it.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have disabled some of the add ins and it seems to be working ok now. Thanks for the reply.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the reply, disabling add ins seems to have sorted the problem for now, hopefully it won't come back. It was all documents so was really inconvenient.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 1, 2024 Views 35,013 Applies to: