• June 17, 2016
    Announcement: Welcome Office 365 for business Community users!

Effective June 17th, Office 365 for business Community joins Microsoft Community. We are excited to have a single support community for all Office, Office for Mac, and Office 365 customers, regardless of versions or subscription methods. We look forward to your questions, participation, and expertize in the new Office 365 for business forum.

Please visit Getting Started, FAQ, and this video to become more familiar with Microsoft community.

Question

Outlook 2016 for Mac Freezes (OS X El Capitan)

hoidwldbxv asked on

Just upgraded to Outlook 2016 as part of the new Office 2016 for Mac package. Running Public Beta of OS X El Capitan (10.11). Outlook freezes (pinwheel) and I'm forced to Force Quit Outlook as a result. 

There is mention of an increased level of security in El Capitan again a certain TLS vulnerability called "Logjam." Wondering if this is indeed the culprit behind the problems with Outlook. I am not noticing any issues with Outlook / Office 2016 for Mac on another Apple notebook I have. Any insights on this?

On a related note, Outlook 2016 for Mac will NOT let me export emails, calendar, etc. that Outlook 2011 for Mac offered. I don't have an issue rolling back to Yosemite but I will lose all my emails. Is there a workaround for this?

Thanks in advance for your insight / input. 

539 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Faisal Jeelani replied on

Hello everyone.

For those of you running Outlook 2016 on El Capitan, please install the latest release - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3098225

This release addresses some of the issues with El Capitan. If you continue to see hangs and crashes with Outlook 15.14.2, please then please email your crash/hang stacks to macolkfeedback at Microsoft.

Thank you for your time and understanding.

Faisal Jeelani

Program Management | Mac Outlook

46 people found this helpful

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Amy M [MSFT] replied on

Latest Update on Office 2016 for Mac, El Capitan

Apple released an update for OS X 10.11 El Capitan on 10/21/15. Their update now addresses the boot-related issues experienced by some OS X 10.11 El Capitan customers using Office.

4 people found this helpful

Abuse history

Most Helpful Reply
YannCris replied on

Personally, no change after latest update. I'm on El Capitan GM.

Every wake from sleep ends up with all office apps to freeze with the need to force quit!

This is inacceptable from Microsoft. 

I really want to love this new version but I ran into so many troubles that it is quite difficult...

118 people found this helpful

Abuse history

Faisal Jeelani replied on

Hello,

We are working hard to fix El Capitan issues and will keep pushing out updates to Mac Outlook that will contain these fixes. In the meantime, we recommend that you keep upgrading to the latest beta of El Capitan and Mac Outlook as and when they release.

Regarding Export, we are working on exporting to OLM, please stay tuned!

Faisal J.

PM / Mac Outlook

20 people found this helpful

Abuse history

SavasP replied on

Unfortunately I upgraded to the public version of El Capitan before reading this information :-( The fixes can't come fast enough since I had to move from Outlook 2016 to Mac OS Mail :-(((
18 people found this helpful

Abuse history

john3220 replied on

I have the same problem. I have tried the 2 step Terminal commands and even found a reference suggesting moving Outlook 2011 to the trash. Nothing has helped. The previous version I had of Outlook was an interim program with a blue square icon rather than the gold O. That worked fine in OS X 10.10.4 but was removed as part of the upgrade to Office 2016.  Please hurry with a fix I am also going to rely on Mac Mail app. If I get used to it I may not go back to a buggy Outlook program.
10 people found this helpful

Abuse history

hoidwldbxv replied on

When is the fix actually going to be released? I CANNOT use Outlook at this point and can't revert to Outlook 2011 nor utilize Mail. 
20 people found this helpful

Abuse history

PieterDejaeger replied on

This is not an El-Capitan issue.

Many people (including myself) have the same problem on Yosemite.

66 people found this helpful

Abuse history

JeffEller replied on

I have Yosemite on a 15" Mac Book Pro.  Outlook 2016 freezes frequently, in particular after waking up the Macbook from sleep.

It has from the moment i've started.   For such a mission critical piece of software for so many, 15.11.12 is so poor I will probably go to Apple Mail.

The freezes, the lack of user ability to change main view list fonts, the general instability is making it unusuable

19 people found this helpful

Abuse history

PFeldman replied on

I have the exact same problem on Mac Book Pro running Yosemite 10.10.4. MS support is looking into it and suggests I keep up with all Office 2016 updates. That's the best they could do.
8 people found this helpful

Abuse history

Snig27 replied on

Sadly, it's the updates that are causing this issue.
8 people found this helpful

Abuse history

WILYANG replied on

This is not an El-Capitan issue.

I have the same problem on Yosemite. It get spinning wheel death almost every time I re-launch the Outlook.

17 people found this helpful

Abuse history

Snig27 replied on

The solution for me was to drag the Outlook app to the trash (after backing up of course). Download an earlier build from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=47595 and then turn off auto-update and wait for MS to release a working version. 

Your settings and accounts etc should survive this.

It seems to have worked for others too.

(I have OSX 10.10.4)

9 people found this helpful

Abuse history