Times font appearing in Finder Preview

Is there a way for me to customize the thumbnail that appears in the Mac Finder so that the font will show as intended? In this case I have used a custom font theme with Helvetica but it is being changed to Times New Roman in the thumbnail. The screenshot shows the thumbnail of PPT compared to a PDF of the same. I would expect the font to default to Sans Serif such as Arial, but when I apply anything other than a Microsoft theme, I get Times as the font in the Preview. 

As well, when creating a presentation using New from Template..., is there a way that I can customize the preview there to better reflect the design (like the installed MS themes) rather than just a white background with Aa on it?

Answer
Answer

You ended up with a couple of problems that stemmed from removing the spaces in the file names in your font theme. Your original:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<a:fontScheme xmlns:a="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/drawingml/2006/main" name="AmerType">
  <a:majorFont>
    <a:latin typeface="AmericanTypewriter"/>
    <a:ea typeface=""/>
    <a:cs typeface=""/>
    <a:font script="Jpan" typeface="MS ゴシック"/>
    <a:font script="Hans" typeface="宋体"/>
    <a:font script="Hant" typeface="新細明體"/>
  </a:majorFont>
  <a:minorFont>
    <a:latin typeface="AvenirNextLTPro-Regular"/>
    <a:ea typeface=""/>
    <a:cs typeface=""/>
    <a:font script="Jpan" typeface="MS ゴシック"/>
    <a:font script="Hans" typeface="宋体"/>
    <a:font script="Hant" typeface="新細明體"/>
  </a:minorFont>
</a:fontScheme>

Avenir Next LT Pro Regular is not installed with any common software, so it is a third-party font. I don't have it, so instead I used Avenir Light and changed the following two lines, correcting the names:

<a:latin typeface="American Typewriter"/>

<a:latin typeface="Avenir Light"/>

Then PowerPoint saw it as a legit theme. You were lucky with American Typewriter that PowerPoint recognized it without the space. The font theme name should be the name as you see it in the font menu in PowerPoint.

Then when you attach it to your template, you need to go into the master slide and format the text placeholders to use the Theme fonts. Instead of the font name reading American Typewriter, you need to scroll to the very top of the font menu and use American Typewriter (Theme Headings) or Avenir Light (Theme Body). Once you have set these correctly, your template will be instantly updated by changing the theme. Setting the placeholders to plain font names means a theme application doesn't update the fonts.

Here's a link to the updated PowerPoint template, so you can take a look: Themed Template.

Author of "OOXML Hacking - Unlocking Microsoft Office's Secrets", ebook now out
John Korchok, Production Manager
production@brandwares.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 1, 2021 Views 10 Applies to: