Outlook 2011 Mac - frequent hangs/spinning beach ball

Switched from Entourage 2004 to Outlook 2011 a couple months ago when the Exchange server I connect to was upgraded. Ever since Outlook 2011 hangs for 10-30 seconds each minute, or so, on my Mac Pro. I have four IMAP accounts and one exchange account. Inbox (all) is pared down to about 40 messages with a few thousand messages stored in "On My Computer" folders. Pretty much can count on a hang of several seconds whenever moving emails on the exchange server to an "On My Computer" folder. Switching between Mail, Calendar, Contacts usually produces a similar hang. Database has been rebuilt but no improvement. Same issue on my MacBook Pro running same accounts config. Activity Monitor shows Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Database Deamon often using as much as 50% or more of the CPU with Microsoft Outlook intermittently displaying "Not responding" - see: http://parallelcreative.com/MS-acyivity.png 

As you might imagine, typing emails is getting really frustrating. I hope someone can help soon or, I'll be finding another program.

Mac Pro: 2x3 gHz Dual Core/OS10.6.8, MacBook Pro:2.4 GHz i5/OS 10.7.2 - MS service packs are up to date.
Answer
Answer
Hi

Sorry I have not replied for a while.

Interestingly I had about 4000 messages in my inbox but never had any problems until I updated to Version 14.3.6 (130613) and it then gave me constantly the SBBoD. Even typing a new message it would stop for 20 secs in the middle of tyoing a word.

I tried creating a new profile and yes it does take a while as it downloads messages in 512 message chunks. When it finally finished, the same terrible problem occured. Constant stalling.

However and this I cannot explain it started working the way it (no SBBoD) should. So I back to normal and I don't know why. Baffling, However checking with IT the Exchange server was re-initialised in the past few weeks....that may have fixed the problem.

21 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 6, 2023 Views 79,537 Applies to: