Workaround: Edge Crashing With Roaming Profiles Enabled

Hello Insiders!

As you may have noticed in today's blog post for the 14279 PC flight, we've fixed an issue from an earlier build where you may have experienced crashes with Edge and possibly Cortana for roaming user profiles on your PC.

This fix will prevent any additional occurrences of this bug, but may not fix an already broken roaming user profile.

For users with affected profiles and who are handy with PowerShell, you can run the following commands to bypass the issue:

reg delete "HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage"

Get-appxpackage -packageType bundle |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode -ForceApplicationShutdown ($_.installlocation + "\appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml")}

$bundlefamilies = (get-appxpackage -packagetype Bundle).packagefamilyname

get-appxpackage -packagetype main |? {-not ($bundlefamilies -contains $_.packagefamilyname)} |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode -ForceApplicationShutdown ($_.installlocation + "\appxmanifest.xml")}

Note:  This fix may cause minor data or settings loss, such as your Edge customizations. 

We're looking at potential resolution steps for users who may not be familiar with PowerShell.  I'll provide updates should they become available.

Thank you as always,
Jason

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Jason,

to fix your problem you have to follow these steps:

- delete your roaming profile

- reinstall your windows 10 build 1511 from a local account. (keep apps and settings)- once reinstalled, log on with local account and install all updates

- NOW, from Control Panel-System Properties-Computer Name-Network ID, follow the steps and add your mobile profile as Administrator.

-once reboot, log in with mobile profile and launch the Powershell Scripts, then reboot another once.

Hope this help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Hi Jason,

to fix your problem you have to follow these steps:

- delete your roaming profile

- reinstall your windows 10 build 1511 from a local account. (keep apps and settings)- once reinstalled, log on with local account and install all updates

- NOW, from Control Panel-System Properties-Computer Name-Network ID, follow the steps and add your mobile profile as Administrator.

-once reboot, log in with mobile profile and launch the Powershell Scripts, then reboot another once.

Hope this help.

Hello,

Delete the roaming profile on the local computer and/or server?

My roaming profile is defined by Group Policy and my account already has administrative access.

Thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

delete the local computer roaming profile.then follow exactly the steps posted. after you have to add and set your profile as administrator for the correct apps functioning, exactly as i wrote above ..."NOW, from Control Panel-System Properties-Computer Name-Network ID, follow the steps and add your mobile profile as Administrator".

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It's not necessary to add the Domain User as an administrator. You can use the following steps.

In many cases, just running the PowerShell script is enough:

reg delete "HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage"

Get-appxpackage -packageType bundle |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode -ForceApplicationShutdown ($_.installlocation + "\appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml")}

$bundlefamilies = (get-appxpackage -packagetype Bundle).packagefamilyname

get-appxpackage -packagetype main |? {-not ($bundlefamilies -contains $_.packagefamilyname)} |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode -ForceApplicationShutdown ($_.installlocation + "\appxmanifest.xml")}

If that doesn't work, take the following steps:

• Delete all local roaming profiles by going to Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings > Advanced > User Profiles.
  • Do an "in-place upgrade" of Windows 10 (you won't lose any data or settings with that) by downloading either the upgrade program or the ISO from https://www.microsoft.com/nl-nl/software-download/windows10. Your PC will stay domain-joined, so no need to re-add the domain.
  • After the "upgrade" has completed (which is basically just installing the same Windows 10 version again), login with the existing local account.
  • Install all available Windows Updates.
  • All apps should work now. If that's not the case, run the PowerShell script above. You shouldn't get any errors now and the apps should start working.
  • Log off and log in as a Domain User. All apps should work normally now without any extra steps. :)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm sorry, but the same problem remains. I just deployed a new Dell Windows 10 Pro system, had a user login, and the start menu refused to even open, let alone anything else. I followed the steps above deleting the roaming profile, doing an in-place upgrade, and the PowerShell tasks. The best I could get was Start opening again, but notice how only Power and All apps only appears. Search does not work either when searching for programs which are in the start menu. I in-place upgraded three times with two different Windows 10 Pro ISOs and sadly nothing. I need a fix immediately. How can Microsoft expect enterprises to use Windows 10 in this state?

Thank you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Did you update your initial W10 installation?

What version of W10 are you using?

start -> settings -> system -> info

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes. I followed all steps exactly.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated March 17, 2022 Views 9,616 Applies to: