Family Safety problem as all the child accounts deleted

After upgrading to last Windows 10 build (10041), something goes wrong with Family Safety feature. All settings related to my children were deleted and connection between my Microsoft user and my children was lost. So I've tried to delete my children accounts from the PC and recreate them (as a new child account) but the problem is that Windows 10 see them as standard users and there is no "Child" option in the "Account Type" list box (see attached image).

Have you any suggestion on how to solve the issue?

Thanks in advance.

Ciao,

Francesco

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on the Microsoft Communities.

I would like to let you know that on Build 10041, there is no option to convert a Standard account to a Child account.

You would directly need to create a child account. Follow these steps:

a. Press 'Start', click on 'Settings'.

b. Click on 'Accounts', 'Other users'.

c. Click on 'Add a user' and choose 'Add a child's account' to create one.

Follow the onscreen setting.

Hope this information helps. If you have further queries, we will be happy to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi RajithR,

thanks for you answer. The problem is that I've recreated my children accounts from scratch as "New Child account with email" but in spite of this, Win10 consider the account as "Standard" (and, as you rightly report in your post, there is no way to convert a standard account into child one).

So the issue is not only related just to the conversion process "Standard"->"Child", but even to the creation of a new child account.

Family Safety is a very good way to control children PC access, so I hope could be a fix for this or, more hopefully, a configuration trick to make it works in this build.

Ciao,

Francesco

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on the Microsoft Communities.

I would like to let you know that on Build 10041, there is no option to convert a Standard account to a Child account.

You would directly need to create a child account. Follow these steps:

a. Press 'Start', click on 'Settings'.

b. Click on 'Accounts', 'Other users'.

c. Click on 'Add a user' and choose 'Add a child's account' to create one.

Follow the onscreen setting.

Hope this information helps. If you have further queries, we will be happy to help.

I TRIED THAT IT DOESNT WORK !!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In Windows 10, Family Safety is becoming part of your Microsoft Family.  Ultimately, this will give parents more tools to keep their kids safe online, across all their Windows devices.  We started this work shortly after Windows 8.1 launched, and we are excited to share it with you—but we’re still developing the final pieces of this transition, and Family Safety is currently disabled as we work these out.

In the next few weeks we will be communicating more about this change and how to get started with your Microsoft Family, but as Insiders, we thank you for your passion—and patience!—as we make this transition.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same problem with child safety account. after upgraded to new build automatically, the children accounts controlled now has gone. I understand that it is not final version, but just give Microsoft who develop the product a feedback. I love the new style of parent safety controlled Microsoft have brought into Windows 10 and hopefully we will see it in the final release.

Qing L.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

To answer the question on this is:

In the meantime, if you want to get back the child safety controlled again after it is upgraded to new build 10041, you could do restore it to previous build by restoring your system.

1. go to Start ->System -> Advance System Settings -> System Protection-> System Restore

2. then pick the point before system upgrade.

3. finally, disable the system upgrade automatically at the moment.

hopefully this will works for you, before Microsoft fixes the problem in build 10041.

Qing L.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The main reason I was using Windows 10 was because of the time limits (and the ability to set the time window in which the limits were valid) for my children. Please, please make sure that this feature comes back in the final release. Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In Windows 10, Family Safety is becoming part of your Microsoft Family.  Ultimately, this will give parents more tools to keep their kids safe online, across all their Windows devices.  We started this work shortly after Windows 8.1 launched, and we are excited to share it with you—but we’re still developing the final pieces of this transition, and Family Safety is currently disabled as we work these out.

In the next few weeks we will be communicating more about this change and how to get started with your Microsoft Family, but as Insiders, we thank you for your passion—and patience!—as we make this transition.

At least that explains why it suddenly stopped working. I was pretty frustrated and tried lots of things just to make it work before deciding to post here when I found this.

Is there any better time frame by when we can expect family safety controls to be back (under any name) in Windows? 

Thx

Kartik

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Is there any better time frame by when we can expect family safety controls to be back (under any name) in Windows? 

Thx

Kartik

Nothing that I can share at this time, but I will update this when I do have something.

Paul...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just checking for any kind of Update.  I recently purchased a few spare computers and combined them into one so I could practice controlling accounts.  I created the child account so my kids could play on the machine as well,  was really excited about the family safety feature and had configured it to my preference.  I updated the O.S. and all that went up, I keep getting the same message to enable in the O.S. settings under accounts but won't let you do it.  I wish I came here first when I notice the issue because I thought it was me linking my account to microsoft ( I even deleted the account trying to get back to the Family Settings).  

Long story short I love this feature and hope that Microsoft can enable this version again, it is extremely beneficial.

Thanks for reading my long... long story,

JR

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 7, 2023 Views 1,373 Applies to: