There is not a single redeeming thing about Windows 10, is there?

I've been a pretty vocal and consistent critic of the builds here for the past six months, but I would like to try another tact. Glass half full so to speak.

What are the features in Win10 that will make us leave our Win7 or Win8 homes for this newest collection of bits?

Some conditions:

• They cannot be aspirational, meaning something that is not present now, but expected or wished to be.
  • They cannot be present already in Windows 7 or Windows 8.
  • Specify if desktop or tablet related, no phone stuff please
  • With those conditions, what would a top ten list look like?

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

One thing for me is a decent local account login, no email account login for me and no cloud for me, I don't care if they are there but I will not use them. I have no need with my own NAS. I don't need anyone to sync my files. If I am forced to give up my security and give someone else access to my data I am gone.
    Don

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

I've been a pretty vocal and consistent critic of the builds here for the past six months, but I would like to try another tact. Glass half full so to speak.

What are the features in Win10 that will make us leave our Win7 or Win8 homes for this newest collection of bits?

Some conditions:

• They cannot be aspirational, meaning something that is not present now, but expected or wished to be.
    • They cannot be present already in Windows 7 or Windows 8.
    • Specify if desktop or tablet related, no phone stuff please
  • With those conditions, what would a top ten list look like?

I can honestly say  there is absolutely nothing  I have seen in win 10 that would encourage me to change from win 7 on the main desktops. Absolutely nada !. In fact, quite the opposite !- it reaffirms how good win 7 is compared to the frankentile 'toy computer' spyware / adware we seem to be reviewing.

I have never seen such a hotch potch mess of ideas as presented in these TP's. Headless chickens seems to be an appropriate analogy.

Microsoft are heading for the biggest disaster in their history !.

The win 10 glass is neither half full or half empty, it is smashed beyond repair.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As long as the UI in 10 is as it currently is, I can't think of any good reason.  Maybe something will come along in the future, but right now I'm extremely happy with Windows 7.  Windows 8.1 with Classic Shell is OK too, but unless something comes along in the future that 7 and 8.1 don't work with properly, I think 10 is something I will only keep on one of my test computers. 

`

I'll quickly add that I'll only keep it on my test PC out of curiosity.  It also has 8.1 with Classic Shell in dual boot, so I don't have to use 10 except to keep abreast of what MS is up to.  I'd say that for me right now the glass is only about 10% full.  I almost forgot Cortana and Spartan.  They are steps backward.  I want a search on the Start menu that only looks at my C: drive, and Spartan currently has no ability for add-ons.  I'll stick with my trusty Firefox, thank you very much.  I haven't seen the first thing in "the store" that adds any value to the real software I already have; and when I can buy a 3 TB hard drive for $80 and a 32 GB flash drive for $10, I haven't the most remote need for any of this cloud BS! 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree entirely!  I've been a dedicated MS user since Win2.0 and a tester since Whistler.  I also test for Adobe and Corel.  After the dismal failure of testing Win8 I had high hopes for Win10.  Sorry, but there is no WOW factor, nothing to get excited about and certainly nothing to retain customers or entice new users.  A few colour changes and a new font do not excite the average user.  When folks actually get using Win10 and see some of the rediculous steps backwards it will once again leave users with absolutely no reason or desire to upgrade.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The counterpoint to redemption is done.

The redeeming features should in some manner outweigh the negative features.

Cortana’s design philosophy is therefore entrenched in state-of-the-art machine-learning and data-mining algorithms. Furthermore both developers and researchers are able to use Microsoft’s broad assets across commercial and enterprise products, including strong ties to Bing web search and Microsoft speech algorithms and data.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

so far the only reason anyone would need to upgrade to 10 would be for continued support. Purchasing windows 7 and finding drivers are already starting to dry up and by this time next year 7 will probably not support most new hardware. The only plus to 10 is for people like me who continuously stay on the bleeding edge of hardware and update often. Aside from that there is nothing in Windows 8/8.1/10 that doesn't already exist in 7 or that cant be added reasonably. Nothing worth using.

On a side note im reading now about the reintroduction of BlurBehind for the Start tooltip and tasksquare. Funny how all the Aero haters are now drooling over pics of it like it was something they came up with when just a week ago they all complained about how Aero effects would ruin all of civilized humanity lol.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Its been said before, No compelling reason to upgrade

Otherwise,  Its FREE.

"one gets what one pays for"   Interesting... If someone gave me an old rusty gas can full of 10year-

old gasoline,  I wouldn't  even use it in my lawnmower.  Its called False economy.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've just be reading about day 1 of the build conference and , from what I've read, it's really all about hype, window dressing  and smoke & mirrors.  A lot of the focus has been on the "one experience" across all platforms - If I'm buying a PC with a graphics card that costs more than a smartphone or slab - why do I want the same experience- Doh 8(|)

As far as the spyware that is Edge/Bing/Cortana is concerned, this is just going to drive people to Firefox & Duckduck.

And the big push is to get more developers to build Apps for the Store.  Sorry guys, the store is already full of rubbish and giving me more rubbish to choose from is not going to make things better.  What MS seems to have forgotten is that it is killer Apps that make the difference and this means quality and relevance not quantity.  I cannot think of one App in the Store that I think is worth the effort of downloading onto a PC. Why would any Enterprise user go anywhere near the store?  It reminds me of the line in the Pink Floyd song "...I've got thirteen channels of <removed> on the TV to choose from...".

MS does not seem to realise that its Win 7 fan base is not the "push the <On Button> and consume brigade" and that everything that it's trying to do currently is just going to alienate that group of customers.  MS needs to come to its senses quickly and understand that it has a diverse group of customers and that one size does not fit all.  Either it caters to the needs of its customers or it accepts that it is going to lose a significant chunk of them.  If that's the route it wants to take, it should be brave enough to say so publically.

The recent changes incorporated in Linux mint 17.1 that

• make it so easy to install & update,
    • includes free LibreOffice,
    • has no spyware, targeted ads and
    • no need to log into an online account

are going to become a real threat to Windows as a desktop OS.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

With those conditions, what would a top ten list look like?

I had a topic "top 10 things that must be fixed before RTM" or similar, but it scrolled so far down the list it probably can't be found any more.

I have found ONE redeeming thing about Windows 10:  virtual desktops.  It's something I use a LOT, in the Linux and BSD world, because that feature has been supported by multiple desktop managers since around 2005.  It's pretty good.  Nice to see Windows 10 *FINALLY* getting that ONE feature, so that gets the slow-clap.

But the ADWARE gets LOUD BOOS audible from the CHEAP SEATS!

yeah I'm not very impressed either.  And NOW, it's getting WORSE.

let's get HONEST in alt.comp.os.windows-10 on USENET, where there are NO mods

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The recent changes incorporated in Linux mint 17.1 that

• make it so easy to install & update,
    • includes free LibreOffice,
    • has no spyware, targeted ads and
    • no need to log into an online account

are going to become a real threat to Windows as a desktop OS.

ack.  Kickstarter to begin the marketing campaign, maybe?  Get Dell and Acer and HP and Lenovo on board?  Selling computers is what THEY are about.  If windows 10 tanks [as it will, in its current design concept and state] then they'll be VERY concerned about selling more computers, and would VERY LIKELY start producing Mint machines, or Ubu machines, or even Red Hat machines!

Linspire was a failed attempt at monetizing Linux.  There *are* ways to do it, usually via support and 'value added' (like RH and other commercial Linux brands).  But if the equipment makers monetize it, and contribute to development of things *like* Mint to keep it going, it would work.  IT WOULD WORK VERY WELL!

It's all about "the marketing", after all.  If you can market ice cubes to eskimos Indigenous People Living In Arctic Climates, you're a grand success!  And Microsoft has done VERY well in MARKETING.

let's get HONEST in alt.comp.os.windows-10 on USENET, where there are NO mods

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated April 11, 2022 Views 10,851 Applies to: