Scheduled tasks not waking the computer from sleep

Hi

I'm running a clean install of Win 10 (build 9926).  When I schedule tasks to run, they do not wake the computer from S3 sleep mode. If I run Win 8.1 on the same computer, scheduled tasks do wake the computer from S3 sleep.

Details / Things I have tried ...

• Dual boot computer (Win 10 & Win 8.1) - Win 10 is the default boot.  
  • Medion MS-7848 motherboard (i7 CPU + 8GB RAM) with the latest BIOS (1.07)
  • Latest Windows updates applied
  • Latest motherboard drivers installed (although they are officially for Win 8)
  • Control Panel -> Power Options: Wake timers are enabled and Password not required on wake-up

After scheduling the task in Task Scheduler, running the command "powercfg -waketimers" shows that a wake timer has been set for the task.

Under Win10, the computer doesn't even wake up physically (whirring of disks etc) at the appointed time, let alone get to Windows.

There is nothing in the Event Log between the time that the system went to sleep and the time that I woke it again by pressing the space bar (which was comfortably after the time set for the scheduled task).

BIOS has been set to enable wake from PCI, RTC and USB. If I set an explicit RTC wake-up time in the BIOS, it does wake up the computer from S3 sleep at the specified time.

When I run similar tasks under Win 8.1 on the same computer, waking from S3 sleep works perfectly. 

Clues gratefully received ...

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

NKGB

1-Its a beta.  That being said did you configure scheduler to trigger whether user is logged in or not and to run as a win 10 service?

Sorry about the basic questions

Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
http://www.zigzag3143.com/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

ZigZag3143

Thanks for the speedy response. And no worries about basic questions ... I should have said in the first place:

• The task is configured to run whether user is logged on or not
  • I've tried configuring it for both Win 7 and Win 10

I'm delighted that MS has let us get our hands on Win 10 as a beta. No complaints from me about issues - at this stage I'm trying to see whether it's something that I've done rather than concluding that it's a problem for MS to fix.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

NKGB

Puzzles intrigue me.  I just replicated a similar issue with not problems yet an hesitant to attribute it to a local environment issue.  More data is needed.  There is a new build (soon) but if you want to pursue this can we get event viewer logs?

Please provide us with your Event Viewer administrative logs by following these steps:

Click Start Menu
Type eventvwr into Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator
Expand Custom Views
Click Administrative Events
Right click Administrative Events
Save all Events in Custom View As...
Save them in a folder where you will remember which folder and save as Errors.evtx
Go to where you saved Errors.evtx
Right click Errors.evtx -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder
Upload the .zip file to Onedrive or a file sharing service and put a link to it in your next post
If you have updated to win 8.1 and you get the error message "the system cannot find the file specified" it is a known problem.  The work around is to edit the registry.  If you are not comfortable doing this DONT.  If you are, backup the key before you do
Press Win+"R" and input regedit

Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT\Channels. Delete "Microsoft-Windows-DxpTaskRingtone/Analytic"

Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

ZigZag3143

Thanks again. Here's a link to a ZIP containing the Administrative Events from my computer.  For what it's worth, I recreated a scheduled task at 20:27 and that didn't result in any Administrative Events. (The events were saved at 20:54).

Here's a OneDrive link to the ZIP file:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=6CB86EFC31DE307C!658&authkey=!APmmOVDPAquMhj4&ithint=file%2czip

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

NKGB

You are right there was nothing in event viewer.  Other than walking you through the setup again, which I suspect you did correctly, there is nothing much we can do remotely.

Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

ZigZag3143

Thanks very much for looking.  I'll try again when the next version comes out. If that doesn't work, I'll try installing again from scratch onto a blank SSD, just in case.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

@NKGB

I've got the same issue, did the REGEDIT above fix it or did you find another solution?  I've done a fresh install and it's just not happening.

Thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Please answer these questions to get more clarity on this issue:

• After a clean installation, did you install all pending Windows Updates and also updated all device drivers from Device Manager?

• Did you also update the Motherboard and chipset drivers downloading the drivers from the manufacturer’s website?

Reply to us with more information to help you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

NKGB,

Have you made any progress since your last post?

I am experiencing the same failure of Task scheduler to wake the PC on two separate computers

Dual boot Win10TP-Win7x64     [Dell Inspiron 1545, from 2010]

Dual boot Win10TP-WinXPx86     [Dell Inspiron 9300, from 2005]

Both installations were achieved by using the UK ISOs for Build 9926 and then using Windows Update to get Build 10041.  Both the original installations and the updates appear to have completed without any flaws.

The TS tasks I run work correctly both manually and when triggered by the time.  If I sleep or hibernate* the PCs then they do not run and they leave no evidence anywhere. 

I have tested equivalent TS tasks in Win7, WinXP and they wake the PC up so I believe that all necessary BIOS settings are in place already.

[* I leave the AC power connected during hibernation as that constraint has applied to every PC I have ever had - TS has never been able to wake the PC unless AC was connected.]. 

I have not set Run whether user is logged on or not as Win7, WinXP do not need it so I think that it is not relevant.  But I would welcome any explanation about its possible relevance to the current issue.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

ZigZag,

Your response worries me. You reported that your tests had different results.  So I cannot simply assume that it is a TP-only constraint that will be okay in the final versions.

Are your Win10TPs based on the UK ISO? 

Do your Win10TPs use dual-boot arrangements?

Why did you ask about the Run whether user is logged on or not setting?

Why did you ask about setting TS up as a Service?  Since it works if the PC stays awake, I have assumed that it is running correctly already.  Or am I missing a point here?  If so, please explain what I need to check / adjust.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  - - - - - - - - - - -  - - - -  - -

Srimadhwa,

In both computers and in both builds, Win10TP has been fully updated using Windows Update.  The latest available motherboard & chipset drivers from the PC maker are not designed for Win10.  I have only added in drivers for the WiFi Card [on both PCs] as well as the display on the XP and the audio on the XP [because these things did not work after Win10TP installation].

Since the Win10TP installations and Windows Updates have not identified any problems with these items, I am reluctant to experiment with their drivers unless there is a definite reason to do so.  What prompted your question about these drivers?

Try*3 - a user
Dell Inspirons 7779, 1545, 9300; Windows 10 Home x64 & Pro x86; Office Pro 2007; HP DJ2540; HTC UPlay [Android 6.0], MyPhoneExplorer

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Try*3

No real progress I'm afraid.  I have tried several more things:

- update to build 10041

- created new admin and standard accounts to run batch jobs (the latter with login as batch rights enabled)

but the symptoms remain the same (i.e. the computer does not wake from S3 sleep). It still works perfectly if I dual boot to Win 8.1.

Interestingly though, if I run the "sleeper" test tool from Passmark (http://www.passmark.com/products/sleeper.htm) under Windows 10TP, the computer does go to sleep (S3) and then wakes up again (albeit ait seems to be unable to wake up the computer for at least 125 seconds).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 23, 2024 Views 8,611 Applies to: