Windows 10 Build 9926 and 10041 set "dirty flag" on other drives in multi-boot system?

Custom built computer.  Asus P5K Pro board, 5460 Xeon CPU, 8GB Gskil DDR2 and 5 hard drives, each with a bootable OS.  

I have Ubuntu 14.04 x64, XP x64, Vista x64, 7 x64 and 10 x64 each on it’s own drive.  Boot drive is chosen in BIOS.  3 of these drives are SATA and 2 are IDE with Windows 10 being installed on a 40GB IDE slave drive and the master IDE drive on that ribbon cable is Vista.

The problem I’m having since 9926 is one that I didn’t have with 9841, ie, Windows 10 is making the other Windows drives un-bootable requiring check disk to run before they will boot up or even be seen by Ubuntu.  I can fix those problems with all the Windows drives by allowing check disk to run on each one but as soon as I boot Windows 10 again, it screws the others up all over again??  Oh and this doesn't apply to Ubuntu, only Windows drives.

I realize that problems are to be expected with beta software but this problem never manifest itself with 9841.  It showed up in 9926 and now I see that this same problem is in this new build, ie, 10041 that I downloaded and installed last weekend.

So does anyone know of a workaround for this or am I just screwed? 

Thanks,

Racer

PS, this was posted on another Windows support forum but I got no answer as to what is causing this problem.

Answer
Answer

Hi,

There are two possibilities that I have noticed on my machines... One may be the Auto Defrag\Optimization causing problems...

The most likely may be Fast Startup... if this only happens after a shutdown, and not a restart...

Something about the Hybrid Shutdown\Hibernation doesn't seem to close the drives correctly.

It works OK if you power on to Win 10, but if you power on to another OS you kind of get the effect that you just pulled the plug on the HDD without doing the removal process... or like a power failure possibly...

I don't dual boot, but load different Acronis images for the OS I want to use... If I do a restart and boot to Acronis, no problem. But if I Shutdown Win 8\8.1\10, then boot with Acronis and load Win 7, ChkDsk will run on all drives....

This doesn't happen if I am running Win 7 , and load a Win 8\8.1\10 image.

This is just my observation on my machine though...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi,

Glad to hear that worked out for you, and you're welcome....

I don't have a clue as to why the USB Mouse wouldn't be working right...

You might try uninstalling it in Device Manager, and the "Scan For Hardware Changes"  with the Icon right under "HELP" to reinstall it...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 2, 2021 Views 299 Applies to: