windows 10 build 10162 fail 0xC1900101 - 0x40017

I have this after various tries to upgrade to 10162. This time from ISO file, after clean boot:

0xC1900101 - 0x40017
The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during BOOT operation

Now I am on 10159

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

The cause for error 0xC1900101 – 0x40017 is known to be faulty drivers.

There have been reports of a USB driver causing this error.  Until a specific USB driver can be determined as a root cause, if you receive this error, we recommend you unplug all USB devices (other than your mouse and keyboard) as a troubleshooting step and try the upgrade again.  If the upgrade is then successful, you can plug the devices back in and they should function normally.

We have identified a few drivers associated with the following hardware or software that could be causing this problem:

If you have NVIDA Driver

1. NVIDIA --      Video card manufacture.    Check to make sure you’ve      upgraded to the latest video drivers
  2. Antivirus      and security-related products. if you have any Antivirus installed for      (Free) uninstall it, if not then disable the Antivirus

Note: Antivirus software helps protecting your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software and\or troubleshoot any pertinent issue, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you are connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to malware attacks.

If you have any of these programs installed, please let us know if disabling, uninstalling, or upgrading the software or drivers allowed you to install.

Hope this information helps and let us know the status of the issue we will be glad to help you further.

Thanks

Regards,
Yaseer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have a same issue on my tablet with W8.1 Bing. I unpluged keyboard and mouse and plug only USB key with W10 build 10162. After when tablet restart, I have a message that "restoring your previous version of Windows" and after when Windows 8.1 start I have a message 

0xC1900101 - 0x40017
The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during BOOT operation

Also I tried clean install of W10 too and had same issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Since I am on a notebook I don't have any USB devices connected excepting a Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 1000. As antivirus I have Windows Defender (that is disabled in this moment) and the NVidia drivers are the latest available on NVidia site.  Also I am in clean boot mode, and after each failure I do a complete Disk Cleanup.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

The cause for error 0xC1900101 – 0x40017 is known to be faulty drivers.

There have been reports of a USB driver causing this error.  Until a specific USB driver can be determined as a root cause, if you receive this error, we recommend you unplug all USB devices (other than your mouse and keyboard) as a troubleshooting step and try the upgrade again.  If the upgrade is then successful, you can plug the devices back in and they should function normally.

We have identified a few drivers associated with the following hardware or software that could be causing this problem:

If you have NVIDA Driver

1. NVIDIA --      Video card manufacture.    Check to make sure you’ve      upgraded to the latest video drivers
  2. Antivirus      and security-related products. if you have any Antivirus installed for      (Free) uninstall it, if not then disable the Antivirus

Note: Antivirus software helps protecting your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software and\or troubleshoot any pertinent issue, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you are connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to malware attacks.

If you have any of these programs installed, please let us know if disabling, uninstalling, or upgrading the software or drivers allowed you to install.

Hope this information helps and let us know the status of the issue we will be glad to help you further.

Thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Have the same error. (Dell Latitude E5540 laptop). Have tried installing windows 10 multiple times (every time it comes a new version). Still get error saying: The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during BOOT operation

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had same problem with latest 7/29/15 ISO file for 32 bit.  Also, downloaded on 8/1/15

as straight install .  Each time same results on this sony laptop with win 7 pro 32bit.

All win 7 imp. updates on before installs.   Hopefully, someone has found workaround soon.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Have the same problem. Removed all USB devices, disabled the antivirus and yet it did not work. I receive the same error.

Tried to change the boot type to "UEFI only" (as suggested by some people on the internet) but windows 8.1 would not boot.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

currently I have issue with update by Windows Update. When WU (Windows Update) download W10, I clicked also on install button and after rebooting of tablet windows started with installation. During 20% tablet reboot again and then W8.1 was recovered. When W8.1 start, everything is working, but I have not any error message.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have been getting the exact same error at the 75% overall mark (91% of installing features and drivers) while doing the official upgrade (using the Microsoft tool to upgrade, not waiting for the Reservation to Notify me.)

We shouldn't need to do what I tried for an upgrade, and I wouldn't expect an average user to do most of this stuff. What would be nice, MICROSOFT, is for a more appropriate error message, or log file that says exactly what Driver it had the issue with. It would at least help us get past it.

After a few bad attempts and it reverting back to 8.1, I did a system backup and then started uninstalling things:

* Upgraded my NIC Drivers (they were from 2013, now late 2014)

* Uninstalled MalwareBytes

* Antivirus is Microsoft's built in Defender (not disabled)

* All Windows Updates are done (except Skype 7.3)

* Uninstalled Intel Rapid Storage software, and other Intel Driver Update software (not chipset stuff obviously)

* Ran the Intel Chipset Upgrade tool to see if there were any upgrades (there were not)

* Removed all old Nvidia video drivers and converted it back to basic VGA. (I was running the latest Nvidia driver before)

* Removed my Razor mouse (as I was getting an install window for its software in the middle of the upgrade).

* Removed my Logitech G15 gaming keyboard

* plugged in a Microsoft wireless keyboard & mouse

* Removed all hidden hardware (CMD prompt, set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1, then run MSMGMT.MSC and show Hidden Devices)

* Disabled my USB 3.0 port from my EVGA X58 FTW motherboard via the BIOS and removed the driver.

* Disabled my Realtek audio hardware via the BIOS and removed the driver. (running latest driver before)

* Removed the hidden directories on the C:\ drive that the Windows 10 upgrade puts there.

* Removed the files under C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

* Cleaned up some software while I was there just because I wasn't using it much.

* Cleaned up some folders under C:\ProgramData as I had removed the software.

After doing all this (and more), I had 200GB free on my C:\ (space was never an issue but better safe than sorry). I rebooted and re-ran the MediaCreation application and did the Upgrade this PC option.

Same thing! 75% it rebooted and I got the 0xC1900101 - 0x40017 error (failed on SECOND_BOOT), etc.

SO, I came across this website and will try this tonight:

http://www.rbrussell.com/2014/12/28/windows-8-1-windows-10-update-error-0xc1900101-0x40017-solved/

I am also going to unplug my other three hard drives (and maybe my DVD) and have just my C:\ plugged in.

I am hoping at least that the errors are going back to Microsoft so they can evaluate and fix their upgrade process so other people will not run into this.

Sorry for the long post; just trying to be thorough.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This discussion is specific to build 10162, perhaps post in one of the following discussions:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/0xc1900101-0x40017-the-installation-failed-in-the/c20c1800-cf0a-4041-8bf4-aa86b276a08f

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-update-fails-in-the-secondboot/c784a13a-d451-41e1-b186-feae9fe86d1d

Btw, thanks for the attempts, at least I will not try a similar approach. It is just shooting in the dark without proper logs...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry! I was so excited to see something out there with the exact error message I have been receiving the past week that I jumped on this thread!

Thanks for pointing me to the more relevant ones for my situation.

I am not sure if that website I linked in my above message will be of any help to troubleshoot a Windows 10 - 10 upgrade.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 2, 2021 Views 2,928 Applies to: