Recovery Partition - Windows 10 build 49 put on a 450MB recovery Partition

My Windows 10 build 49 put on a 450MB recovery Partition that can't be removed by any Windows OS except Windows XP, why is it there and what does it do ?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

This recovery partition first of all is standard in windows. It aids with recovery should your processor ever crash and it will, here.

Renee

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

This recovery partition first of all is standard in windows. It aids with recovery should your processor ever crash and it will, here.

Renee

Because I back up my full Hard drive with Windows 10 all the time, a crash would not be a big deal to me as I can recover the last working Windows 10 I had

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is for the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE), which also shipped with Windows Vista only it was available from the Windows Vista installation disc only, although some OEMs made it available on a separate partition on their factory installations. In Windows 7, this feature is installed on all computers, and is stored in the 300 MB partition if you install using a single partition scheme. However, if you install on a drive that has multiple partitions, the recovery environment is stored in a folder in the root of your installation drive, so if you install to a partition with a label of C:\ it will be located at C:\Recovery.
Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I just delete mine, and then expand the drive it was taken from back into the space...

In my case the C:\ partition.

I used Acronis Disk Director on a bootable CD, but there is free stuff available...

One is Partition Wizard 9 that can be downloaded as an ISO that can be used to make a bootable CD or Flash Drive...

I was expecting to have some type of boot issue after doing this, but none have appeared...

Try at your own risk though... Your setup may respond differently than mine...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Are you still able to run all the pages in the Repair/Restore Environments = Shift + Restart ? 
~
Microsoft Bob came back after a 20 year makeover, and with a new name. Cortana!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Only the Startup Repair is available. The only part of the Startup Repair that is available is the Safe Mode section...

Like the OP, I rarely use these features... I don't login with a password, so I don't even have access to the

Shift + Restart under normal circumstances...

I also have backup images of the OS partition to Restore in the event of major issues...

I can access any of the repair features I may need from the DVD or Flash installation media should I need the .CMD or other more advanced features...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also use other backup measures that have worked for me for years. The Windows Recovery isn't something I'd use either. Also, for partitioning, I use one tool, not a mix. I'm not sure, but I think you could force Windows to install on a pre-partitioned drive, say two partitions C and D. Format C prior to the install (boot type) and hopefully, Windows will install there without any aditions. I'll have to check this assumption though.
Eric Ible ABC DE FGH IJK etc...
Amerture at work - Please mind the steps!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Eric,

Windows installation can be used to create a Windows partition and you can then use Computer management or another tool to create a partition on the rest of that drive after installation is complete.  Alternatively, you could create the partitions before installation if you wanted and then install into the desired one.

Whichever way you do it, it is important not to simply install without partitioning as it is then more difficult.  Windows does not care where it puts immoveable files during installation so if you have allowed it to install onto the whole of the drive then it might put some immoveable files near the end of the drive - this will inhibit your ability to shrink the system drive to make room on the disk for a data partition.  In short, if you ever want to partition, do it before or during installation.

Having a 70GB system partition has made System images a breeze.  25 minutes to create, 25 minutes to restore from. 

Try*3 - a user
Dell Inspirons 7779, 1545, 9300; Windows 10 Home x64 & Pro x86; Office Pro 2007; HP DJ2540; HTC UPlay [Android 6.0], MyPhoneExplorer

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the info Try*3. Those methods I use too.

I've just made some quick observations that are probably understood by techs.

Windows can install without repartitioning or creating extra partitions if:

• MBR style disk.
  • Using pre-partitioned disk

Windows will not like to install on GPT disk if:

• GPT partitions have poor layout!

The poor layout, I partitioned a VM with GPT and two partitions (+small free space). Not dual booting and in a hurry I chose to install to first partition - Windows 10 said No. I didn't think to test the second partition.

For me, a novis, I don't know the full links between UEFI and GPT. For old'ish desktops without UEFI, I don't see the need for GPT. So I think some errors will be down to user misconfig than OS errors.

My UEFI laptop will stay GPT with what ever small space Windows sees fit to use. I have a SSD of 240GB, so the whole disk is used for the OS and I image the disk, not the partition - no dual boot.

As for my desktop. That'll stay MBR and I can image the partiton, hopefully without issue.

Only ameteur testing though.

Eric Ible ABC DE FGH IJK etc...
Amerture at work - Please mind the steps!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Just as a note...

I did an upgrade of Win 8.1 Pro to Win 10TP build 10049.... The disk was already pre-partitioned and the space was being used... It was a MBR disk... no GPT...

The upgrade process to build 10049 actually resized my windows C:\ partition to make room for the 450MB Recovery partition...

I have not previously encounter this type of issue until build 9926, or maybe 10041...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 8, 2021 Views 23,987 Applies to: