9879 Sata Port 2 Device Error

Hi

I have just updated my pc to 9879 which now reports the error Sata Port 2 Device Error when booting. The C drive is a SSD which is fine and windows starts ok. My D drive was a Samsung 1 gig  Sata HDD. This contained all my docs etc. When windows starts my old D drive is no longer present, which I guess is obvious as the boot wasn't correct. It appears this drive is now dead. I have plugged another drive to the same Sata port and all is ok. Is there any way to recover the disk as it appears to be dead. ie it doesn't spin up upon power on.

Any ideas greatly received.

Barrie

BD

Can you see the drive in BIOS?

Have you tried putting the HD into another computer?

I suspect the problem is the HD does not have a drive letter.  If you look in disk management is the a drive there without a letter?

Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
http://www.zigzag3143.com/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi

Thanks for response:

The disk is in the bios but it does not look right. It previously knew what it was ie Samsung and now reports its size as zero and no make. It appears to know there is an HDD connected.

I don't have another PC to try it on but have ordered a Sata to USB adapter so I can hopefully extract the data before I try any utilities on it.

It doesn't appear in Disk Management.

The motherboard is an Asus Rampage Gene 111.  First problem I have ever had with it. This 98879 update seems to have rendered the disk as not present. Hopefully its not beynd recovery.

Barrie

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If the USB solution doesn't work then try EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition (Free):
http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm
How to create a bootable USB /Flash drive: http://www.partition-tool.com/resource/manage-partition/usb-partition-manager.htm
ALL-IN-ONE partition software and the most convenient hard disk partition manager toolkit
Includes Partition Manager, Disk & Partition Copy Wizard and Partition Recovery Wizard on MBR and GUID partition table (GPT) disk under Windows 2000/XP/Vista/Windows 7 and Windows Server 2000/2003/2008 (32 bit and 64 bit).
It allows users to Resize/Move Partition, Extend System Drive, Copy Disk & Partition, Merge Partition, Split Partition, Redistribute Free Space, Convert Dynamic Disk, Convert GPT Disk to MBR, Partition Recovery and much more.

J W Stuart: http://www.pagestart.com

Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Barrie's HDD   #1 Not Recognized   #2 byte size zero #3 Wont spin up , seems dead.  All this after installing build9879 !  GAWD here we go again .

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Barrie, this is your chance to participate.  Any chance the drive problems started immediately after: STARTUP, AWAKEN from sleep or Awaken from hibernation ?  Second question: the second drive you plugged into the sata connector worked OK ? and if it did ,have you restarted/awakend the pc since ?  If the pc was NOT restarted/awakend since and the second drive still works OK, I would suggest that you keep that sucker turned on and not allow it to sleep.   A pattern is developing here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Bingd that asus motherboard.  It supports sata600,any chance PUIS mode is disabled on it ?   Your system partition(c:) is on the SolidStateDrive,correct?  Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think PowerUpInStandby mode applies to SSD's.  It does apply to standard spinning platter HDD's  so perhaps TechPreview9879 flagged it for PUIS ? This could explain a lot. If so,there is a solution.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

PUIS (Power-Up In Standby

Hola a todos

Desactivar PUIS (Power-Up In Standby) en discos duros (el bios no los reconoce)

Está pasando mucho que Windows 10 beta Build 9879 escribe dentro del disco duro
algo sobre opciónes de energia y que la mayoría de los ordenadores, la  BIOS  no soporta, y el
disco duro no rueda, (la Bios no reconoce el disco) en espera de una orden para que gire,
solo que hay que  reiniciarlo al estado de fabrica, tarea algo compleja.

COMO SE SOLUCIONA

Debes descargarte el programita RUFUS y con el haces un pendrive de arranque MS-DOS
También descarga el programa hdat2_50 ISO  descomprimes la iso en cualquier carpeta
y copias en el pendrive de arranque la carpeta HDAT2 (en la carpeta descomprimida del iso)

Entra en tu pendrive y abre el archivo autoexec.bat  
>abrir con >bloc de notas >editar
y al final escribes :

CD hdat2
hdat2.exe /W    

Al poner el pendrive se debe poder arrancar desde el pendrive 
si no se puedes arrancar, se debe entrar en BIOS y poner en la
pestaña del BOOT que inicie en primer lugar con el USB

Si se inicia el pendrive de arranque con el programa "HDAT2" aparece una pantalla negra con un menú de opciones

1ª pantalla seleccionar el "disco duro"  >intro
2ª pantalla seleccionar "Device configuration overlay (DECO) menu"  >intro
3ª pantalla seleccionar "Modify"  > intro
4ª pantalla seleccionar "Power-up in Standby (Puis)" y cambiar a "remove" (flecha derc-izq)
5ª Pulsar la tecla "S" y después la tecla "Y"
En la pantalla 3ª tammbién se puede optar por "RESTORE" en vez de "modify" y pondrá el disco duro por defecto de fabrica
Pulsar la tecla "S" y después la tecla "Y"

Saludos
EEDU

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 18, 2024 Views 3,023 Applies to: