Synaptics SMBus TouchPad Windows Update Causes DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

Windows Update for Synaptics SMBus TouchPad causes multiple restarts with DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION. There is no longer a Mouse with my TouchPad. I was able to stop the restarts by plugging in my USB Mouse and now have a working external Mouse. Current Synaptics Driver shows working OK in Device manager, Version 19.0.3.0, Date 4/9/2015. Driver has Rollback option if wanted - will try later. Update Driver says I have the best Driver installed. Build 10049 64-bit. PC is HP Pavilion dv6700z with AMD CPU.

Answer
Answer

EDIT 4 - There's another work-around I missed below that helps some PCs. It was posted first by LS on May 1 and again by Matheus on May 22. Also, Build 10122 has the same issue per two of us so far. The same work-arounds 1-4 below and 5 per this edit still apply it seems. Work-around 1 may always be required to stop the endless restarts so the other work-arounds (2-5) can be tried. Work-around 3 will stop Windows Update reinstalls of buggy TouchPad drivers.

EDIT 3 - Version 19.0.6.0 (see EDIT 2 below) is not being offered to all for unknown reason(s).

EDIT 2 - There is a new Synaptics Driver Windows Update (Version 19.0.6.0, dated 4/30/15) that appears to stop the various lock-ups and WATCHDOG restarts. However, the TouchPad scroll does not work per at least two of us AND you may need to use the first of four work-arounds listed below to even get the update if you are experiencing continuous WATCHDOG restarts as I did. I will amend this Answer again if needed based on more feedback. This does enable us to put Windows Update back on Automatic.

At this point, there appears to be at least four work-arounds for this BUG until Microsoft provides a Synaptics TouchPad Driver that works. All were discussed previously in this Discussion Thread. If someone wants to mark this as Answer, please do so.

1) Least desirable - simply start using an external USB mouse, except I found typing in WordPad or Note Pad caused WATCHDOG restarts - even once trying to type a Restore Point Description in System Restore. EDIT 1 - MarcZeldes also found (April 29) if you hit the TouchPad with the new Windows Update Synaptics Driver, "the system locks" even with external USB mouse.

2) Disable the TouchPad via Device Manager per ZigZag3143 Post on May 1.

3) Use the Driver Roll Back option in Device Manager to get the simple PS/2 Driver (PS/2 has vertical scroll). Then follow the W3lsh procedure, April 29 on page one of this Discussion Thread to stop Windows Updates for this Driver. If you can't Roll Back, uninstall per same W3lsh procedure. This allows continued TouchPad use.

4) Try an older Driver from Vista/Win7/Win8 as I described with Vista on May 2, except add the W3lsh procedure on April 29 after getting the Roll Back Driver in step (1) of my Vista Driver work-around. Following W3lsh will stop future Windows Updates for this Driver. This allows continued TouchPad use.

If anyone else has a work-around, or one I missed, please Reply to this Thread and I'll add it.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 2, 2021 Views 19,536 Applies to: