What are you thinking with the proposed Adware?

Is THIS ARTICLE for REAL?

Are you people at Microsoft SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING THIS?

Have you NOT learned from what happened to LENOVO last January when it was discovered that they were BUNDLING SUPERFISH ON THEIR NOTEBOOK COMPUTERS, which served POPUP ADS [and also provided a nasty security crater], just so they could SAVE A FEW BUCKS?  Did you NOT READ Lenovo's INITIAL ARROGANT RESPONSE, SEE THE USER BACKLASH, AND READ THEIR BACKPEDALING APOLOGY A WEEK LATER?

THIS! REALLY! HAPPENED!

So are you REALLY going to do THESE THINGS, which the article suggests?

"Microsoft has a plan to stop people from ignoring Windows Store apps, and it involves putting recommendations in front of users' faces."

"the Start menu might show a recommendation directly underneath the list of most used apps"

"The lock screen will be another opportunity for app promotion, with an occasional full-screen image of a Windows Store app replacing the usual random image from Bing."

"Cortana herself will take part in the recommendation game, bringing up a related app from the Store when you're typing the name of a program you already have"

this feature could REALLY ANGER THE DEVELOPMENT COMMUNITY, if you're WORKING ON SOMETHING and Cortana "recommends" your COMPETITION.  Don't you care about "Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers" any more?

and the WORST part?

"In Windows 10, Microsoft plans to look at how people are using the software, and figure out what kind of apps they might like. Over time, users may get app recommendations in different parts of the operating system."

LOOK AT HOW PEOPLE ARE USING THE SOFTWARE - that means it is SPYING ON YOU!

"app recommendations" - that is ADVERTISEMENT!

I KNEW IT!  I WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG!  When I pointed out the INTRUSIVE ADS already being put into build 9926's "store apps" and the built-in "the METRO" apps, I CRITIZED THE {BLANK} out of it because NOBODY in their RIGHT MIND will TOLERATE this kind of built-in SPYWARE and ADWARE.

I thought the ads in the built-ins were going away, though.  I *HAVE* pointed out that this kind of SPYWARE and built-in ADWARE would prompt an IMMEDIATE ANTI-TRUST INVESTIGATION FROM VARIOUS GOVERNMENTS from the USA to the EU to Australia to "wherever else" people care about SPYWARE and the intrusion of an ADVERTISING GIANT into the DAILY USE OF A COMPUTER OWNED BY THE USER, and NOT by the software vendors!

ADWARE is JUST BAD.  If it is IMPOSSIBLE to IGNORE the "the METRO" store apps, because you cannot uninstall them and get CONSTANT FLASHING MOVING ADS SHOVED INTO YOUR FACE AND WASTING YOUR INTERNET BANDWIDTH BY DOWNLOADING ALL OF THAT IMAGERY, then NOBODY will want Windows 10, even if you PAY US TO TAKE IT!

Come on, Microsoft, GET IT RIGHT:  NO <removed> AD-WARE ON *OUR* COMPUTERS, PHONES, WHATEVER!  Seriously!  And NO SPYWARE EITHER!

I apologize to Microsoft if I was TROLLED by that web site into believing you actually want to do this.  Then again, I haven't viewed the youtube video of the keynote speech that apparently DEMONSTRATES this yet.  Once it finishes downloading, I'll know for sure.

<Original Title:  What the BLANK are you BLANKING thinking with the PROPOSED ADWARE?>

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

added:  I code HTML using a TEXT EDITOR!

Visual Notepad! he, he!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Reply In reply to deleted message
y'all must have had a bad experience with windows 10 man!

Most of us have had an eight month series of nightmares with Win10.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks!

Sorry no website, not even a Facebook page, just a simple text file on my PC's desktop for east access.

If you (or anyone else) has one, feel free to post this, it's straight from the file:

KB's to NEVER install

(KB2952664) -- This update helps Microsoft make improvements to the current operating system in order to ease the upgrade experience to the latest version of Windows.

(KB2976978) -- This update helps Microsoft make improvements to the current operating system in order to ease the upgrade experience to the latest version of Windows.

(KB2990214) -- This update helps Microsoft make improvements to the current operating system in order to ease the upgrade experience to the latest version of Windows.

(KB3068708) -- This kind of update helps the overall application experience on Windows, by improving the current operating system for upgrade to the latest version of Windows.

(KB3035583) --  will pitch the free Windows 10 upgrade to customers.  which does not seem to cause a problem other than it readies my computer for Microsoft to start sending "reminders" to upgrade (Malware by most definitions)

(KB3022345) -- which corrupts system files, as can be seen if your run SFC following this update

(KB2952664) -- which seems to seriously corrupt systems as you can read about all over this forum

(KB2977759) -- This update will help Microsoft and its partners ensure compatibility for customers who are seeking to install the latest Windows operating system.

(KB2922324) -- Looks like this one has been pulled.

(KB3021917) -- This update will help Microsoft and its partners deliver better system performance for customers who are seeking to install the latest Windows operating system.

(KB3050265) -- General improvements are made to support upgrades to a later version of Windows.

(KB3068708) -- This update introduces the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to in-market devices. By applying this service, you can add benefits from the latest version of Windows to systems that have not yet upgraded.

The Malicious update KB's need to be ripped out by the roots!!

(KB3014460) Effects Win8.x

Thx Jeff

I am not in a position to accuse MS of sabotage, but I can say this.  I noticed my win 7 partition was getting a little lethargic in the past several weeks, especially boot times. 

I acquired this PC in Dec, so I just uninstalled all non-security and non-hotfix updates since Jan.  What a difference.  The improvement in performance for me was very noticeable. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

well for me I feel cheated and lied to.

Before 10 began MSFT claimed they learned a lesson from 8. They "Heard our screams" and finally was going to make a true successor to Windows 7. Windows 10 would be a Desktop-centric (focused on what made the desktop good) OS and would see a return to computing how we wanted it and were used to. Things like a start menu and (while not mentioned but implied) other wished for things like Aero.

The first couple of builds started to look good (but only just). 9841 for me is where it started to poop out. Start menu changes were slow and the one we got made it closer to a phone not a desktop. We were told to go offer feedback as if it were some type of voting system. Now here I am thinking like any voting system the majority wins. Feedback on the return of Aero is the single largest request of all of the feedback tool as well as here and UserVoice and more than a dozen other tech sites/blogs or just about anywhere else you can post comments. The vast majority of the worlds Windows Computers are still on Win7 where Aero is just business as usual. Yet here we are a dozen or more builds later and almost RTM and the main additions are metro garbage and after 4 builds Edge finally got a home button (they had to completely recompile the entire OS 4 times to add a button?) something that was so basic every browser has one and right at the first release.

Windows 10 is so close to a mobile OS that it would take less work to convert it entirely to a phone than it does to make it usable on the desktop. This is not only breaking the promise MSFT gave us but its the exact opposite of what they said.

Some of us want to get off of windows 7. We want new exciting things and longer support. Innovative technology that will grip and inspire us. The WOW factor that even the most horrendous versions like ME and Vista had (along with their problems).

I loved it when XP hit betas. It was the first time we got to see eye candy in windows. Everyone else had it forever. We got things like alpha channels for icons (24 bit) and the first real visual update to the Windows 95 Common Controls (so named because they were introduced in Win95) like the treeview and listview. I had fun looking around the OS clicking buttons and links discovering things.

Now all we get is a Windows 3.11 clone that's dull, plain, and boring. Nothing new. Nothing to engage me. Apps are extremely limited and have all the functionality of notepad with a visual presence to match. Its huge and gawdy and designed to be used with large diameter body parts. Its clumsy and inaccurate. Its completely unfinished and has problems that should not exist this late in the game.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yea, I too feel cheated. To me, they outright lied when they said they had learned from the metro debacle. This is evidenced by how much more metro is woven into the os.
IMHO, YMMV.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

exactly. at least in the 8's you could just ignore metro and move on. Now even changing the wallpaper will require it. Yo dawg I heard you like metro so I put metro in your metro. wth?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Now all we get is a Windows 3.11 clone that's dull, plain, and boring. Nothing new.

Don't insult Windows 3.11 like that. It was far more visually interesting and usable than 10!

Personally, I think 10 is most like Windows 95.

"Love is just a trick nature plays on us to get us to reproduce" - Callisto, Xena Warrior Princess

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I should have said a "less functional Win 3.11" because at least there you had an RGB color wheel to choose color from.

Win95 is leaps and bounds beyond 10. At least it understood that real world objects we interact with are 3 dimensional you actually pushed a button and it omg wait for it ... pressed in !!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I think a very large part of their problem is that win7 is just too damn good. The best they could have hoped for, is incremental improvements to win7, and that's just not a huge money maker.

If I was making windows 10:

- add back features and functions like (folders remember their layouts) from XP

- optimize the code line by line from Win7.

- customize the installer to allow tablet/desktop / continuum mode (they made virtual desktops finally, for christ sake, so how hard would that be?)

Allow desktop users to download / install / use store apps if they want to.

Leave the desktop experience of win7 - optimized and enhanced by code cleanup and improvement ...

Let the tablet users see their Win8 experience, and the phone users too.  COnvertable device users like suface can choose to switch to desktop mode when they attach a keyboard and mouse, or, work the windows 8.1 way.

CHOICE!

Hell, code cleanup and optimization would be enough to sell me on win7.2!

also add back fuctions removed as of vista,
eg.
keyboard navigation in the folder tree without unnecessary pressing of the enter key to display the contents of the currently selected folder,
in XP and older all that was required to navigate the folder tree was the arrow keys
and the contents were automatically displayed in the right pane
I find the lack of configuration options disturbing !

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

lol y'all

living in the past means viruses, no support, and bugs

nice one

"NOT"

nope I have never had a virus / malware etc. on any of the systems I have ever owned,
sorry it's a PICNIC / PEBKAC issue,
not an OS issue

PICNIC
P
roblem
In
Chair
Not
In
Computer

PEBKAC
Problem
Exists
Between
Keyboard
And
Chair

I find the lack of configuration options disturbing !

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated January 30, 2024 Views 5,047 Applies to: