Build 10041: Jump Lists Broken

I use jump lists alot, and on Build 10041 they are broken

I was able to add a 'few' pinned items in the previous build, but while I had my jump list set to 15, it would never display recently closed files in order to then pin them - Excel and Word 2013.

Upgraded to build 10041 and found that recent items did now show, but when trying to pin them it would pin winword.exe or excel.exe, or chrome.exe or iexplorer,exe rather than the file/website. Clicking on the newly pinned item would bring up an error message saying it doesn't know the file and if I wanted to delete it. Clicking yes, nothing happened

I was unable to unpin these shortcuts and eventually had 15 pinned winword.exe or excel.exe, or chrome.exe or iexplorer.exe in each jump list that could not be deleted.

Thankfully I was able to find a command online to clear the stored jump list settings but now have to use older methods to access files - shortcuts on desktop, file/open, using Windows Explorer

Windows 7 had PERFECT implementation of jump lists, Windows 8/8.1 broke it and Windows 10 TP makes it unusable 

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have the same issue with Office apps as well as Remote Desktop. 

Very annoying as I rely on that feature many times a day. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

It's August 6th 2015 and I can confirm that Jump Lists in the free Win 10 Pro upgrade is still limited to just 10 pinned entries, and I must frustratedly report that all Jump List settings have been REMOVED from the "Taskbar & Start Menu options" - which I should add has NO START MENU OPTIONS AT ALL despite its title. It appears to be a job left half unfinished, perhaps in a rush.

There is also no information online as to how users can choose how many JL entries they require. That is NOT intelligent design, and it is apparent Microsoft were not thinking of their users who RELY on Jump Lists to navigate file locations as I do exclusively.

Are there plans to reinstate the exact Jump List options as in Windows 7 and 8.1 to give users who came to rely on them the option to choose how many they require?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have exactly the same question to Microsoft.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated February 2, 2021 Views 1,074 Applies to: