Discussion
  • This thread is locked from future replies

Getting the Windows DVD Player app

Vidyaranjan A V started on

The Windows DVD Player app enables Windows 10 PCs with an optical disc drive to play DVD movies (but not Blu-ray Discs). It is available for purchase in the Windows Store and may be found here. The following are answers to some common questions you may have about the app.

1. Q: Who can use this app?

A: Anyone with a Windows 10 PC that includes an optical drive may purchase and use this app.

2. Q: I thought that this app was free to customers upgrading to Windows 10?

A:  The free Windows 10 DVD Player app offer was available for a limited time and has expired.  Customers who wish to use this app may now purchase it from the Windows Store. 

3. Q:  I currently play my DVDs from a file backup.  Does the Windows DVD Player app support this? 

A: No, the app currently only plays DVD movies on optical discs.

4. Q: Does the app play Blu-ray discs?
A: No, it plays DVD movies.  If you already have an app that plays Blu-ray movies, it will continue to work on Windows 10.

5. Q: Does this change anything if I already have a DVD player app that I like?

A: If you already have a DVD player app installed, it will continue to work when you upgrade to Windows 10.

6. Q: I'm an enterprise IT professional and the Windows PCs I manage at my company will need to play DVDs.  Can I use this app?

A: The Windows DVD Player app is available for purchase in the Windows Store for Business.

7. Q: If I purchase the Windows DVD Player app in the Store, will it also be available on my other PCs?

A: If you pay for the Windows DVD Player app in the Store, you are entitled to install the app on your other Windows 10 PCs, just like other paid apps.

10131 people have recommended this discussion

Abuse history

David Wolters replied on

Update for question 13: This offer has ended on July 29th.

Thanks,

David

(Moderator's note:  The FAQ has since be revised.  This is now addressed in question 2.)

69 people liked this

Abuse history